To the N.E. of the Boulevard de l'Ermitage is the Ch&taigneraie
a fine group of chestnuts, where the restaurant mentioned on p. 378
Near the Place des Ecoles, in the old town, is a small Rousseau
Museum incorporated with the Municipal Library and open on Wed. and
Thurs. 2-4. Rousseau's furniture and writing-table are shown, together
with the two reading-lamps which he used at night in the open air, his
death-mask by Houdon, views of his various residences, several busts and
statues, autographs, and handsome editions of his works.
The Forest of Montmorency, which begins attheChataigneraie,
covers a very irregular tract, about 5000 acres in extent. The forest
consists mainly of chestnuts and is dominated by the Forts of Mont¬
morency and Montlignon, which form part of the outer fortifications
of Paris. The pleasantest route, well-marked and easy to follow,
ascends to the N. of the station and skirts the S. slope of the forest
to(lV2M.) Andilly. The church in this village contains copies
of old pictures, one of which, Mt. Olympus, has been described by
Rousseau. From the hill just above the prospect extends to the
heights of Montmartre, Mont Valerien, and St. Germain-en-Laye.
About Y2 M. to the N.E., beyond the fort of Montlignon, we reach
the Croix-Blanche (restaurant), whence we may descend by the
Carrefour du Pont d'Enghien (cafe"- restaurant) to (l'/2 M.) the
Chateau de la Chasse, with the scanty ruins of a castle of the 14th
century. This spot is about 4 M. to the N.W. of Montmorency and
nearly in the centre of the forest.
From Enghien to Paris vifl, Argenteuil. — 1072 M. Railway in
46-60 min.; fares 1 fr. 80, 1 fr. 20, 80 c.
The train passes the lake of Enghien, embosomed in trees, on
the left, and the racecourse (p. 378) on the right. Fine view on
the same side. On a height in the distance rises the tower of the
Chateau de la Tour, above St. Prix (see below). — 8 M. (from Paris)
972 M. Ermont-Eaubonne, two villages l/% M. to the N.W. and
1 M. to the N. of the station respectively (with 3101 and 1889 inhab.),
which were distinguished by the residence there of Mme. Houdetot,
Saint Lambert, and Rousseau. An omnibus runs between Ermont
and Margency (2 M.; 40 c), Andilly (2'/2 M.; 50 c.; see above),
Montlignon (2y2 M.; 40 c), and Saint-Prix (4 M.; 50 c). The last
of these pretty villages was the temporary abode of Sedaine (d. 1797),
the dramatic author, P. L. Courier (d. 1825), the pamphleteer, and
Victor Hugo. Railway to Pontoise and to Valmondois, see R. 26.
The line now turns to the S. Beyond (10 M.) Sannois the train
descends between the hills of Orgemont (460 ft.) on the left and of
Sannois (445 ft.) on the right (p. 380). — 12 M. Argenteuil, and
thence to Paris, see p. 380.