Electric Tramway every 10 min. from the station: 1. To St. Graiien
(see below), via Enghien and the lake (10 and 15 c.);- 2. To Montmorency.
A tramway also runs between Enghien and La Trinite' (p. 208), via Epinay,
St. Denis, and St. Ouen.
Post & Telegraph Office, Grande-Rue 83.
Horse Races. Twice a month in summer. Adm. 3, 5,10, 15, and 20 fr.
The course is nearly 1 M. to the N.W. of Enghien (tramway).
Enghien (130 ft.), a pretty little modern town with 4067 inhab.,
is pleasantly situated on the banks of a wooded lake ('/2 M- long,
l/t M. broad), and near the forest of Montmorency. It enjoys some
reputation for its Sulphur Springs, discovered in 1776, which have
proved beneficial in diseases of the mucous membrane and of the skin.
The Etablissement, at the W. end of the Grande-Rue, is well-
organized. Opposite is the Casino. — Enghien is a great resort of
Jewish families from Paris.
.St. Gratien, a village situated about 1 M. beyond the lake, to the right,
is uninteresting. The church contains a modern monument to Marshal
Catinat (1637-1712; by Nieuwerkerke), who owned the chateau behind the
church, and two pretty groups of children in bronze, by Mme. Bertaux.
Tramway, see below.
From Enghien to Montmorency. — Railway (4 M.) in 8 min.;
50 or 25 c. The train passes La Poinle-Raquet and Soisy. — The Tramway
(nearly 1M.; 30 or 25 c.; see above) stops at the Orangerie, St. Valiry (both
near the church), and at the Place du Marchi.
Montmorency. — Hotels. Hotel de France, at the station, R. from
272, B. 1, dej. 272, D. 3, wine 172, pens. 7 fr.; de la Gare, opposite;
du Cheval Blanc, Place du Marche", a favourite resort of artists in the
18th cent.; Hot.-Restaurant des Deux-Tourelles, to the left of the station.
— Cafes-Restaurants. Chalet des Fleurs, at the station, de'j. 272, D. 3fr.;
Trois-Mousquetaires, at the Hermitage, with a casino; Vrai Restaurant de
l'Ermitage, Boul. de l'Ermitage (see below). — Cabs at HeyraucV s, near the
Hotel de France; 1-3 pers. 2 fr. perhr., 3 fr. on Sun., 4 pers. 272 or 3'/2 fr.
Montmorency, an ancient town with 6419 inhab., is a favourite
summer-resort of the Parisians, chiefly owing to its beautiful forest.
It is noted for its vegetable produce and cherry-orchards.
Montmorency has given its name to an illustrious ducal family, which
traces its descent from the 10th cent., and has counted among its members 6
constables of France, 12 marshals, 4 admirals, several cardinals, etc.
Their castle was devastated at the Revolution and afterwards pulled down.
The old town, with its steep and winding streets, and the new
town with its many villas, adjoin one another. The Church, in
the former, with its small but conspicuous spire, dates from
the 14th cent, and contains the tombs of two Polish generals. In
the Rue du Temple, we pass an interesting Renaissance House,
with fine sculptures.
The names of the Avenue Emile, which ends at the station, and the
Boulevard de l'Ermitage, which runs thence to theE., recall the Ermitage
de Jean-Jacques Rousseau, which Mme. d'Epinay presented to the philosopher,
and where he and Therese Levasseur lived from 1756 to 1757. The house
is now called 'Villa du Pausilippe' (private), and may be reached from the
station in 10 min. via. the Rue Gre'try (see Plan), opposite the 'Vrai Restau¬
rant de l'Ermitage'. Rousseau lived in the house to the right of the entrance
(Rue Gre'try 50), which now consists of one story only, and there wrote
,Emile' and 'Le Contrat Social', and completed his 'Nouvelle He'loise'.