Near the Place aux Gueldres is an old 18th cent, church known
as the Petite-Paroisse, now converted with the adjoining Carmelite
convent into a Law Court (PL C, 3). Princess Louise of France,
daughter of Louis XV., was the foundress of this convent, which she
entered in 1770. The handsome cupola with its rose-windows rests
on Ionic columns. Above the door is a Pieta; on the right and left,
Christ and the scribes, Simon and the Child (apply to the concierge;
fee). — The Square Thiers (PL B, 4) is embellished with a statue
of Vercingetorix, by J. Bertin. — At the Porte de Paris (PL C, 4)
stands the monument of N. Leblanc (A. 1806), the chemist, by Hiolle.
In the Seine, beyond the railway, is the He St. Denis, and on the
opposite bank is the Plaine de Gennevilliers, with the village of that name,
2>/j M. from St. Denis (p. 332).
From St. Denis to Enghien. — A short way beyond St. Denis
the main line of the Chemin de Fer du Nord (p. 386) diverges to the
right. Our line passes the Fori de la Briche. To the left flows the
Seine. — 6 M. (from Paris) Epinay, a village of 3438 inhab., about
•/2 M. to the left of the railway (conveyance 20 c), on the right bank
of the Seine, and l1^ M. from Gennevilliers (p. 332). It is connected
with Paris (Place de la Trinite"), St. Denis, and Stains by tramway,
and with St. Denis, Asnieres (p. 331), Puteaux (p. 342), and Suresnes
(p. 339) by steamboat. — Railway to Beaumont, see p. 384.
From Epinay to Noisy-le-Seo, 8 M., Grande Ceinture Railway. The
chief station is (5'/2 M.) Le Bourget (p. 396). — At Noisy-le-Sec (9579 inhab.)
the Grande Ceinture Railway joins the Chemin de Fer de l'Est. See
p. 237 and Baedeker's Northern France.
The Grande Ceinture Railway also runs from Epinay to (3t/2 M.) Ar-
genteuil (p. 380), skirting the Seine.
7 M. La Barre-Ormesson, the station for Ormesson (on the left)
and La Barre (on the right), with 'de'pendances' of the old Chateau
de la Chevrette, the name of which recalls the memory of J. J. Rous¬
seau and Mme. d'Epinay.
71/2 M. Enghien-les-BainS. — Hotels-Restaurants. Des Bains, at
the Etablissement; Quatre-Pavillons , opposite; de la Paix, Grande-
Rue 50; at these three, R. from 5, de'j. 4, D. 5 fr.; Gr. Hot. d'Enghien,
Grande-Rue 73, dej. 3-4, D. 4-5 fr.; Hot. du Casino, opposite the Casino
(see below), in the Av. de Ceinture, with garden.
Cafes. Kiosque Chinois, on the bank of the lake; Salle des Fetes,, with
garden, Ave. du Casino; Cafi du Nord, opposite the station. — Casino,
with a terrace in the form of a ship, 15 fr. per month, 45 fr. per season ;
2pers. 25 or 80 fr.; 3 pers. 30 or 90 fr. (balls, concerts, etc.). — Cursaal
d'Enghien, opposite the Casino , entrance in the Grande Rue, 20 fr. per
fortnight; 2 pers. 30, 3 pers. 45, 4 pers. 60, 6 pers. 70 fr.; per month
30, 50, 75, 90, 100 fr. (Munich beer).
Thermes (in summer, from April 1st). Mineral water, 10 c. per glass,
subscription for a fortnight 3'/^ fr., a month 6 fr.; sulphur-baths 2-5, douche
l'/2-43/4 fr.; less for subscribers. Over 100 baths, latest improvements, large
open promenade. Temp. 50-57° Fahr. — Small Boats on the lake, 2 fr.
per 'course' (272 fr. on Sun.) and 1/2 fr- additional for each pers. more
than one; ferry across the lake I1/2 fr.
Cabs at the station: per hr. 2'/2 fr. (3 fr. on Sun. and holidays); to
Montmorency, 2Vt or 2'/» fr.