190 Route 26.
ings of a collège; the Donjon or Keep, a massive Norman structure
of the llth or 12th cent., measuring 65 ft. in height and the same
in hreadth ; and Talbot's Tower, a round tower 130 ft. high, added
by the English in the 15th century. The interior of the donjon, which
is shown by the concierge, contains little of interest. A small
chamber is pointed out by tradition as the birthplace of William the
Conqueror. The dungeon in which King John Lackland is said to
hâve confined his nephew Arthur of Brittany is also shown. The top
(to which, however, visitors are now denied access) commands a fine
view, and it was hence, or from one of the Windows, that Robert the
Devil is said to hâve first seen Ariette, the tanner's daughter (see
p. 189), washing linen in the small stream at the foot of the castle
rock. Talbot's Tower contains two vaulted chamhers. The breach
through which Henri IV entered the castle is seen at the end of
the disengaged part of the enceinte next the promenade. This
part was formerly defended by a moat.
Returning to the Place St. Gervais, we now descend the main
street to the Bridge, which affords a picturesque view of the lower
town and the castle.
At the suburb of Guibray, beyond the railway, a much-frequented horse-
fair has been held since the llth cent., lasting from Aug. lOth to Aug. 25th.
The Church is mainly a Norman structure of the llth century. Above the
high-altar is a fine group of the Assumption by an unknown sculptor.
Continuation of Railway to Le Mans. The first station beyond
Coulihœuf is (29 M.) Fresne-la-Mère. Beyond (35 M.) Montabart
the line to Granville (R. 25) diverges to the right. From (42 M.)
Argentan (p. 185) to (51 M.) Surdon (p. 185) our line coincides
with that from Granville to Paris, from which it diverges to the
right at the latter. To the left are seen the towers of Sées.
55 M. Sées (Cheval Blanc), a town with 4275 inhab. and the
seat of a bishop, is of ancient origin but has been repeatedly de-
vastated and rebuilt.
The main street leads in a straight line from the station to the
Place de la Cathédrale, which is embellished with a bronze Statue
of Conté (1756-1805), a local celebrity, by Jules Droz.
The Cathedral is a handsome Gothic édifice ofthe 13-14th cent¬
uries. The W. front is preceded by a porch with a fine iron grille
and is flanked by towers (230 ft. high), the stone spires of which
hâve been restored. The lofty arches and beautiful triforium of the
nave are supported by round columns. The transepts are lighted
by good rose-windows, and the N. arm contains a fine tympanum
and a modem monument. The choir is remarkable for the extrême
lightness of its construction. An old well, surrounded by a stone
coping, has been discovered to the right of it. The high-altar,
with its two faces, is adorned with bas-reliefs in bronze and marble.
The adjacent panelling is embellished with four fine bas-reliefs of
scènes from the life of the Virgin.