184 Route 25. VERNEUIL. From Paris
nificent 'Stained Windows, representing scènes from the life of St. Louis,
were designed by Rouget, Jacquant, E. Delacroix, E. Watlier, H. Vernet,
Bouton, and H. Flandrin. Most of the five other 'Stained Windows in the
passages, representing scènes from the Passion, were designed by Larivière.
Ail the stained glass used in the chapel was made at Sèvres. — The large
crypt beneath the rotunda and the smaller one beneath the sanctuary con¬
tain other tombs and funeral urns.
After the circuit of the promenades has been made and the
views enjoyed, there is little more to be seen at Dreux. In the square
at the end of the Rue de Rotrou, to the N. of St. Pierre, is a bronze
statue, by J. J. Allasseur, of Rotrou, the dramatic poet (1609-50),
who was born at Dreux.
A branch-railway runs from Dreux through the valley of the Eure to
(17 M.) Maintenon, passing (81/2 M.) Nogent-le-Roi, near which is Coulombs,
with the ruins of a Romanesque abbey.
From Dreux to Chartres (Orlcans) and to Bueil and Rouen, see p. 59.
Beyond (56'/2 M.) St-Germain-St-Remy the railway crosses the
Arve, a tributary of the Eure, and traverses a pastoral district, dotted
with manufactories. 60 M. Nonancourt, on the Arve ; 67 M. Tillières,
also on the Arve, in a picturesque little valley to the right.
73 M. Verneuil (Hôt. du Commerce), a town with 4330 inhab.,
was fortified in the 12th cent, by Henry I. of England. The battle of
Verneuil, fought in 1424 between the English under the Duke of
Bedford and the French, resulted in the defeat of the latter. The
church of La Madeleine, a remarkable édifice of the ll-17th cent.,
has a lofty and élégant Gothic Tower of 1506-36, to the left of which
is a poor porch, still bearing the inscription 'Temple de la Raison'.
Interior (recently restored). Above the Gothic arches of the nave are
round arches. Several of the stained-glass Windows and various works of
art date from the 15th and 16th cent., while some of the more modem
works are noteworthy. Choir-stalls of the 16th cent. ; interesting iron pulpit.
In the street to the left as we quit the church is a House ofthe
lôth cent, with a turret displaying a checquered pattern in stone,
brick, and flint. The Rue du Canon leads thence to the church of
St. Lawrence (partly 16th cent.) and the Tour Grise, an ancient keep
65 ft. high (accessible to visitors). — The church of Notre-Dame
(12-16th cent.) contains a number of interesting sculptures, and
has also some good stained glass. — The Tour St. Jean, dating
partly from the 15th cent., belongs to a secularized church.
The branch-line from livreux (p. 156) is continued beyond Verneuil to
(24M.) La Loupe, via (IO1/2M.) La Ferté-Vidame-Lamblore and (18 M.) Senonches ■
79 M. Bourth. The train now enters the Forest of Laigle, and
beyond the two branch-railways mentioned below crosses the Risle.
87V2 M. Laigle (Buffet; Hôt.de V Aigle-d'Or ; duDauphin), anin-
dustrial town with 5125 inhab., situated on the Risle, manufactures
needles, pins, huckles, etc. The Gothic church of St. Martin, near
the railway, to the left, has a handsome tower (15th cent.).
A branch runs from Laigle to (251/2 M.) Mortagne (p. 199), via the Forêt
du Perche and (IOV2 M.) Tourouvre. — To Conches (Evreux), see p. 157.
The railway continues to ascend the valley of the Risle, and
crosses the river twice. — 97 M. Ste. Gauburge.