168 Route 22.
Hôtel Valois (16th cent.), the most noteworthy part of which is the
court. The Hôtel de Than, opposite, is another old mansion of the
On an eminence beyond the small square in front of the main
portai of St. Pierre are situated the remains of the Castle (P1.C,D,2),
begun by William the Conqueror and finished by Henry L, and
several times altered. It is now used as barracks, and présents few
points of interest. The castle was held by the English after the rest
of the town was taken (see p. 167), but in 1459 the garrison of 4000
men was compelled to surrender to Dunois. — In the Rue de Geôle
are some quaint old houses (Nos. 17, 31, 37).
The street leading to the left from the church, as we return from
the castle, runs to the E. extremity of the town, passing the former
church of St. Gilles (PL E, 2), which is built in the transition style
from Gothic to Renaissance.
A little farther on is *La Trinité (PI. E, F, 2), the church of the
Abbaye-aux-Dames, founded in 1036 by Matilda, wife of William the
Conqueror, while the latter at the same time founded the church of
the Abbaye-aux-Hommes (p. 169). Thèse acts of beneflcence were
intended as an expiation of the sin which the pious founders had com-
mitted in marrying within the forbidden degrees of consanguinity.
La Trinité, with the exception of one chapel, on the right of the
choir, in the Transition style, is Norman-Romanesque ; it has under-
gone a thorough restoration in modem times. Two square towers rise
on the W. façade and another from the transepts ; ail three, long de-
prived of their spires, were provided with balustrades in the 18th
century. The majestic simplicity of the interior is no less striking
than the dignity of the exterior. Small galleries surmount the aisles,
and there is an interesting crypt beneath the choir. The choir, which
is reserved for the nuns who manage the Hôtel-Dieu (see below),
is closed to the public ; but it and the crypt are shown to visitors
to the hospital. It contains the modest tomb of the foundress.
The Hôtel-Dieu or Hospital (PI. F, 2), adjoining the church, is
established in the former nunnery, rebuilt in the 18th century. The
nuns of La Trinité were generally daughters of noble families and
enjoyed considérable privilèges. The ahbess was known as Madame
de Caen. Visitors, generally admitted on application, are expected
to make a contribution to the poor-box. The extensive park com-
mands attractive views.
As we retrace our steps to St. Pierre, we hâve a view of the
distant towers of St. Etienne (see p. 169). Beyond St. Pierre we
follow the Rue St. Pierre (PL C, 3), Nos. 52 and 54 in which (near
the beginning) are quaint houses with wood-carving. Farther on,
to the right, is St. Sauveur (PL C, 3), consisting of two churches
placed side by side and forming an immense nave. The building is
in the Gothic style, and has a handsome belfry of the 14th cent., a
richly decorated apse of the 15-16th cent., and some old stained glass.