144 Route 19. BAR-LE-DUC. From Paris
Tower, which may be reached from St. Antoine's, via the Rue de
l'Horloge and the Rue de l'Armurier.
The church of St. Etienne or St. Pierre (PL 7; C, 3) is the prin¬
cipal building in Bar-le-Duc. It dates from the 14th cent., with the
exception of the portai, flanked by a tower, which was added at the
end of the following century. The screens of the two chapels in the
right aisle are noteworthy, but the chief object of interest is a *Statue
(in the right transept), by Ligier Richer, of St. Mihiel in Lorraine
(p. 131), a pupil of Michael Angelo, representing a corpse in which
decay has already set in. It is carved of St. Mihiel stone soaked in
wax and oil to give it the appearance and durability of marble, and
formed part of the tomb of René de Châlons, Prince of Orange, who
was killed in 1544 at the siège of St. Dizier.
No. 21, Place St. Pierre, a handsome old house of the early
Renaissance period, contains a small Musée, open to the public on
Sun., 1-4, and to strangers at other times also.
The collections, occupying four saloons, comprise spécimens of natural
history, a small gallery of paintings (chiefly modem), some sculptures, a
portion of an altar-piece (Death of the Virgin and Assumption), and a
handsome chimney-piece. Among the few ancient paintings are a portrait
of Tintoretto by himself and some canvases of the old French school; the
sculptures include antique busts of Trajan and Hadrian.
There are a number of other interesting old buildings in the
'Ville Haute', especially in the Rue des Ducs-de-Bar. A house in
which Prince Charles Edward Stuart lived for three years is also
pointed out. At the upper end of the Rue des Ducs-de-Bar is Le
Pâquis, a promenade shaded by fine elms. The Avenue du Château,
at the other end, passes near the remains of the Château (PI. 2 j B, 3),
destroyed in the 17th century. In the Rue Lapique, which leads
down from this vicinity to the Rue de la Rochelle (p. 143), is the
Hôtel de Ville (PI. C, 2), formerly Oudinot's mansion.
From Bar-le-Duc to Clermont-en-Argonne and to Verdun, 35 and
42 M. This railway has a spécial station in the Rue St. Mihiel, to the
S.E., not far from the canal. At (12'/2 M.) Rembercourt-aux-Pots a branch-
line diverges to Lisle-en-Barrois (p. 143). — At (18'/2 M.) Beauzée the line
forks, one branch leading to (35 M.) Clermont-en-Argonne (p. 124), the other
to (42 M.) Verdun (p. 124).
161 M. Longeville; 164V2 M. Nançois - Tronville. Railway to
Neufchàteau-Epinal, see p. 308. To the right is the Marne canal,
which farther on makes a wide curve and enters the valley of the
Meuse by means of a tunnel 2'^ M. long, while the railway bends
to the left. Beyond (171 M.) Ernecourt-Loxéville the train enters
the cuttings by which the line pierces the heights between the
valleys of the Seine and Meuse. — 178 M. Lérouville.
Railway to Sedan via Verdun, see p. 131.
183 M. Commercy (Hôtel de Paris), a town with 8100 inhab., is
situated on an arm ofthe Meuse. The Château ofthe 17th cent.,
which the train passes on quitting the station, was at one time the
résidence of Stanislaus, King of Poland and Duke of Lorraine ; and
hère Cardinal de Retz (d. 1679) wrote his memoirs. It is now used