to Nancy. BAR-LE-DUC. 19. Route. 143
The railway to Jessains next ascends the valley of the Aube, which
it crosses beyond (28'/2 M.) Dienville. We now join the line from Troyes
to Chaumont, and reach (33>/2 M.) Jessains (p. 300).
From Vitry-le-François to Paris via Coulommiers, see p. 292.
Beyond Vitry the railway crosses the Marne for the last time
and skirts the Rhine and Marne Canal, which begins at Vitry and
ends at the 111, near Strassburg, a distance of 195 M. — The scenery
now becomes monotonous. 135'/2M. Blesme-Haussignémont (small
Buffet) is the junction for Chaumont and Epinal (see p. 307). 143 M.
Sermaize (Hôt. de la Cloche ; de la Source, at the Etablissement),
on the Saulx, with a small Etablissement de Bains, lfô M. from the
station, supplied by a minerai spring resembling that of Contrexé-
ville (p. 316).
We next cross the Saulx, the Rhine and Marne Canal, and the
Ornain, and reach (148 M.) Revigny-sur-VOrnain.
Branch-railway to (17]/2 M.) St. Dizier, see p. 307; to Amagne-Lucquy, via
Ste. Menehould, see p. 127. Local railways also run to the S.E., through the
valley of the Saulx, to (I61/2 M.) Haironville, and to the N.E., to (21 '/z M.)
Triaucourt, via (14 M.) Lisle-en-Barrois, whence a branch diverges to Rember-
court-aux-Pots (p. 144).
157y2 M. Bar-le-Duc. — Hotels. Du Cygne (PI. a; B,2); de Metz
& du Commerce (PI. b; B, 2), Rue de la Rochelle Nos. 8 & 17; de la Gare,
with café, opposite the Gare de l'Est (PL C, 1). — Cafés. Des Oiseaux, at
the théâtre (see below); Lambert, at the Hôtel de Metz; de la Gare.
Cabs. Per drive in the Ville Basse, 1 fr. ; to the Ville Haute, IV2 fr. ;
per hr. (1-2 pers.) 2fr., each addit. pers. 50 c.
Bar-le-Duc, the ancient capital of the Dukes of Bar and the chief
town ofthe department of the Meuse, with 18,250 inhab., is situated
on the Ornain and the heights rising on its left bank. It was the
birth-place of the second Duke of Guise (1519-63), Marshal
Oudinot (1767-1847), and Marshal Exelmans (1775-1852). Bar-
le-Duc is noted for its préserves, and it also produces good wine.
The busiest part of the town is the 'Ville Basse', which is inter-
sected from E. to W. by the Rue de la Rochelle, the principal street.
At the E. end of this street is the new church of St. Jean (PL 8 ;
D, 2), an imposing édifice in the Romanesque style, of which the
lofty choir, with a canopied altar, is raised above a crypt.
The Rue Entre-deux-Ponts. leading to the left at the other end
of the Rue de la Rochelle, begins at the Monument of the Michaux,
who introduced important improvements in the manufacture of
bicycles, and passes the elaborate Renaissance façade of the Théâtre
(PI. 18 ; B, 2). Behind the latter is the Café des Oiseaux, one of
the sights of the town, the fine saloon of which is surrounded by
glass-cases, containing stuffed birds and other animais. — Farther
on is the Place Reggio (PI. B, 2), embellished with a bronze statue,
by J. Debay, of Marshal Oudinot, Duke of Reggio (see above). —
Farther up, to the left, is the church of St. Antoine (PL 6; B, 2),
of the 14th cent., with good window-tracery and stained glass. A
canalized arm of the Ornain flows beneath the church.
The 'Ville Haute', or upper town, is commanded by a Clock