to Nancy. CHALONS-SUR-MARNE. 19. Route. 141
Woman ascribed to Rembrandt, and a Triumph of Diana by Primaticcio. —
On this floor also are some médiocre modem French paintings, etc.
The church of Notre-Dame (PI. C, D, 2), a few yards behind the
Hôtel de Ville, second in interest to the cathedral alone, dates from
the 12-14th cent, and présents a union of the Romanesque and
Gothic styles. It has two towers, surmounted by modem spires, on
the façade, and two others to the E. of the transepts. The stained
glass Windows (16th cent.) are fine, especially the first two on the
left side. The aisles are provided with capacious galleries, and the
three chapels in the apse are each preceded by two columns, from
which the vaulting springs. There are several fine monuments.
Farther on towards the E., on the outskirts of the town, is the church
of St. Loup (PI. E, 2), dating from the 14-15th cent., with a handsome and
recently restored interior. It contains a statue of St. Christopher, referred
to the 15th cent., and a few ancient paintings, including a small triptych
(Adoration of the Magi; visitors may open it), by an early Flemish master,
in the 2nd chapel on the right. — The church of St. John (PI. E, 3), at
tbe S.E. extremity of the town, dates from the ll-15th cent, and unités a
Gothic choir with Romanesque nave and aisles. — Notre Dame de l'Epine,
To the left of the Place de l'Hôtel-de-Ville is the church of
St. Alpin (PL C, 2), dating from the 12-13th, and 15-16th centuries.
It contains numerous ancient paintings, the chief of which are a
Christ, in the style of Albrecht Durer, signed Ant. Perot and dated
1551 (in the 3rd chapel to the right), a Christ at Emmaus, after
Ph. de Champaigne, and a Bearing of the Cross, attributed to Peru-
gino (in the following chapels). This church has also some fine
stained glass of the 16th century.
The Place de la République (PI. C, 2), a little beyond St. Alpin,
forms the centre of the town. To the right, at its other end, is the
Jard (PI. B, C, 3 ; band on Sun. and Thurs. afternoons), a public
park lying in front of the Château du Marché, a small érection of the
17-18th cent., partly restored, and now occupied by a savings-bank.
The Rue Lochet, built above a canal passing under the château,
leads hence back to the town, passing on its way a handsome Syn¬
agogue and a Protestant Church. The Jard is bounded on the right
by a canal, between which and the Marne lies the Jardin Anglais
(P1.B,3). — On the left is the Cours d'Ormesson (PI. C, 3), with an
Agriculiural Laboratory and the Jardin des Plantes. At the end of
the Cours is the Préfecture (PI. D, 3), erected in the 18th cent., fac-
ing the Rue Ste. Croix, in which are the modem Archives. The Grand
Séminaire, to the right of the préfecture, contains a small geological
and archaeological muséum. At the end of the Rue Ste. Croix rises
the still unfinished Porte Ste. Croix (PI. D, 3), a triumphal arch,
60 ft. high, erected in 1770 to welcome Marie Antoinette.
Not far from the station, from which its two towers are visible, is
tbe former Manor of Jacquesson, now used as a distillery, brewery, and
malt-house. Connected with it are 7 M. of cellarage, hewn in the chalk,
which are generally shown on application.
About 5 M. to the E., on the road to Ste. Menehould, is the village
of L'Epine, famous for its beautiful and much-frequented 'Pilgrimage