18. Route. 135
The Library and the Muséum, containing collections of Roman
antiquities, natural history, and paintings, occupy the same build¬
ing in the Rue Chèvremont, which leads from the Place d'Armes.
— A little farther on we reach a branch of the Moselle, above the
islarfd on which are the former Préfecture, the Théâtre, etc. Near the
opposite bank, farther down, is the Porte Chambière or Schlacht-
haus-Thor, to the N. of which is the cemetery, with a monument to
French soldiers who fell hère in 1870. The quarter on the Ile Cham¬
bière has a handsome new Protestant Church in the Gothic style. The
farther side of the island is washed by the main arm of the Moselle,
beyond which rises a fort, near Devant-les-Ponts (p. 134).
The Rue Foumirue leads in the other direction from the Place
d'Armes to the older quarters, with their picturesque Tanneries.
Farther on, on the banks of the Seille, is the Porte des Allemands
( 1445-48), a quaint old town-gate, restored in 1892.
The Battle Fields of 16th and 18th August, 1870, lie to the W. of
Metz, on the road to Verdun. A visit to them occupies a whole day
(9-10 hrs.), and may be most conveniently accomplished either entirely by
carriage (two-horse carriage 30-35 fr., the best at the principal hôtels), or
by taking the train to Ars (p. 123) or to Amanvillers (p. 126), and proceed-
ing thence by omnibus. The Battle of Rezonville, fought on the 16th Aug.,
was one of the bloodiest of the whole war. In the course of the day no
fewer than 138,000 French troops and 476 guns were engaged at intervais,
while the German forces amounted to 67,000 men with 222 guns. The
French loss was estimated at 879 officers and 16,128 men, and the German
loss at 711 officers and 15,069 rank and file. — The eight German Corps
d'Armée engaged in the Battle of Gravelotte, fought on the 18th Aug., nuni-
bered about 230,000 men, opposed to whom were 180,000 French. The Germans
lost 899 officers and 19,260 men, the French 609 officers and 11,705 men.
To the E. of Metz lie the Battle Fields of 14th Aug. and of 31st Aug.
and lst Sept., 1870. The former battle is known to the French as the battle
of Borny, while the Germans hâve named it the battle of Colombey-Nouilly,
as the ground between thèse villages was the principal object of attack
(see Map). Its resuit was to cause a fatal delay in the intended march of
the French to Verdun. — The battle of 31st Aug. and lst Sept, was fought
on the occasion ot the first and most determined attempt of Marshal Ba-
zaine to break through the German army which had surrounded Metz since
19th August. The chief object of dispute was the small village of Noisse-
ville, 5 M. from Metz, on the road to Saarlouis.
To the N. of Metz, not far from the road to Thionville, lies Woippy,
where Bazaine's last sortie, on 7th Oct., terminated in the retreat of the
F'rench after a battle of nine hours' duration. — At the château of Fres-
cati, 23/t M. to the S. of Metz, on 27th Oct., was signed the capitulation
of Metz, whereby the fortress, with 3 marshals, 50 gênerais, 6000 other
officers, 173,000 men (including 20,000 sick and wounded), 53 eagles, 66
mitrailleuses, 541 field-pieces, and 800 fortress-guns, together with a vast
quantity of other munitions of war, was surrendered to the Germans.
From Metz to Strassburg via Saarburg, 98 M., railway in 23/4-43A hrs.
(express-fares 14 ^f 60, 19 Jl 30, 7 Jl 30 pf., ordinary 12 J? 80, HJl 50,
5 M 50 pf.). — 13V2 M. Remilly is the junction for the line from Metz to
Saarhrucken. 39 M. Bensdorf or Bénestroff is also a station on the Nancy
and Saargemiind line (p. 152). At (47 M.) Berthelmingen we join the line
from Saarbrûcken. From (54'/2 M.) Saarburg (Fr. Sarrébourg) our route
coïncides with that from Paris and Nancy to Strassburg (see p. 325).
From Metz to Strassburg, via Frouard and Nancy, 127 M. (no through
trains), comp. RR. l«a and 44. — To Nancy, 36 M. in 2 hrs. (fares 5 Jl 10,
3 Jt 45, 2 Jl 20 pf.).