18. Route. 129
station of Mohon (p. 128). Hère they diverge to the left into the
valley of the Meuse, which is crossed at (154i/2 M.) Lûmes. From
(15672 M.) Vrigne-Meuse a tramway runs to (3 M.) Vrigne-aux-
Bois, where large quantifies of hardware are produced. — 161'/2 M.
Donchery is the point where the German forces crossed the Meuse,
at the battle of Sedan, in order to eut off the retreat of the French
army to Mézières. The railway crosses the river, and immediately
to the rightis seen the Château de Bellevue, where Napoléon III.
surrendered his sword, and where the capitulation of Sedan was
signed on Sept. 2nd, 1870. The captured army were detained as
prisoners for three days on the Peninsula of Iges, formed hère by
the Meuse. The bombardment of Sedan was begun by a battery
posted on the heights of Frénois, to the right. The German army
took up its position in that direction and still farther to the E., while
the French posted themselves on the heights immediately surround-
ing Sedan. By the end of the day the French position had been
turned by the Germans, who had made themselves masters of the
hills commanding it on the N.
16472 M. Sedan. —Hotels. Hôt. de l'Europe, Rue Gambetta 27, R.,
L., & A. 21/2-6, B. l'/4, déj. 3'/2, D. 4fr.; Croix d'Or, Place Turenne, déj.
3 fr. ; Lion d'Or, Place d'Alsace-Lorraine. — Buffet at the station.
Sedan, a town with 20,163 inhab., formerly strongly forti¬
fied, is famous for the battle and capitulation of Sept, lst and
2nd, 1870 (see p. 130). Of no great antiquity, the town at one
time belonged to theDukes of Bouillon (p. 131), and the re volt of one
of thèse noblemen in 1591 led to the siège and capture of Sedan by
Henri IV. Sedan is well and regularly built, and carries on a pros-
perous manufacture of fine cloth ; but it is uninteresting to the
stranger. Within récent years the appearance ofthe town has under-
gone a remarkable change. The fortifications hâve been removed,
and their place is largely taken by handsome houses.
From the station, which has been brought farther to the S.E.,
near the Meuse, the Avenue Philoppoteaux, crossing the river and
traversing the new suburb, leads to the Place d'Alsace-Lorraine,
at the S. extremity of the town, in which are situated the War
Monument for 1870, the Collège, and the Etablissement Crussy,
embracing an asylum and a small Musée (adm. on application).
Thence the Avenue du Collège leads to the Place d'Armes, in
which rises the Parish Church. Beyond the church is the Donjon,
of the 15th cent., the only relie of the ancient Castle. The Avenue du
Collège is continued by the Rue Gambetta or Grande Rue, which ends
at the Place Turenne, embellished with a bronze statue, by Goix, of
Marshal Turenne, erected in 1823. The marshal (1611-75), born
at Sedan, was the son of Henri de la Tour-d'Auvergne, Viscount of
Sedan and Duke of Bouillon, an ambitious noble who took part in
many plots against Cardinal Richelieu, and was finally forced to
purchase his life by yielding up to Louis XIII. the barony of Sedan.
Baedeker's Northern France. 3rd Edit. q