to Metz. RETHEL. 18. Route. 127
manœuvres and temporary purposes.— At (122 M.) St. Hilaire-au-
Temple we join the railway to Metz via Châlons and Verdun (p. 124)
d. Via Rheims and Mézières-Charleville.
(Givet, Namur, Luxembourg.)
258 M. in 9'/4-143/4 hrs., 260'/2 M. in 93/4-15'/2 hrs., or 268 M. in 10'/4-
15'/2 hrs., according as Rheims is reached via La Ferté-Milon, via Soissons,
or via Epernay. Comp. R. 16. Fares 45 fr. 70, 30 fr. 85, 20 fr. 15 c
From Paris to (97-107 M.) Rheims, see R. 16. At Rheims we
leave the line to Laon on the left and that to Verdun and Metz on
the right, and traverse the monotonous plains of Haute Champagne.
— 102 M. (from Paris via La Ferte'-Milon, 21/-2 and 10 M. more by
the other routes) Witry-lès-Reims. — 107^2 M. Bazancourt.
From Bazancourt to Challerange (see below), 33 M., railway through
the valley of the Suippe, with its active woollen industry.
Beyond(115'/2M.) Taynon the train passes through a tunnel and
enters the basin of the Aisne, where the scenery becomes more varied.
123 M. Rethel (Hôt. de France; de l'Europe; du Commerce), an
industrial town with 6742 inhab., is partly situated on a hill to the
right of the Aisne and of the Canal des Ardennes, which connects
the Aisne and the Meuse and is crossed by the railway. The church
of St. Nicholas is in reality formed of two churches, différent both
in size and style, and placed end to end. The oldest part, dating
from the 13th cent., belonged originally to a priory. The Hôtel Dieu
and several other édifices in the town date from the 17th century.
1261/2 M. Amagne-Lucquy (Buffet-Hôtel), with a large sugar
factory, is the junction for a line to Hirson (see p. 100).
From Amagne-Lucquy to Revigny (Bar-le-Duc), 67'/2 M., railway in
31/2-51/2 hrs. (fares 12 fr. 30, 8 fr. 25, 5 fr. 35 c). — 6 M. Attigny (Hôt. de la
Gare; Cheval Blanc), an ancient and celebrated little town on the Aisne and
the Canal des Ardennes. Wittikind, the duke of the heathen Saxons, was
baptised hère in 786; and hère in 822 Lewis the Debonair performed his
public pénitence at the instigation of his prelates. The town was frequently
the scène of public assemblies and state-councils ; and the Merovingian and
Carolingian kings had a large and splendid palace hère, built about the
middle of the 12th cent., of which the Dôme, a sort of portieo near the
Hôtel de Ville, is the only relie. The Church of Attigny dates from the
13th century. — We now ascend the valley of the Aisne. 18 M. Vouziers
(Lion d'Or), a town with 3670 inhab., picturesquely situated on the left bank
of the Aisne, has a church of the 15-16th cent., with a remarkable portai.
— 25'/2 M. Challerange. Branch-line to Ba/.ancoilrt, see above.
[A branch-railway also runs from Challerange to (15 M.) Apremont,
following the attractive valley of the Aire, and passing (6 M.) Grandpre, which
has given its name to a défile in the forest of Argonne, through which
the line passes. Apremont is an iron-working village. About 41/2 M. to
the S.W, is the little town of Varennes-en-Argonne, where Louis XVI. was
arrested in 1791 on his attempted flight from France ; and 7 M. farther on
is Clermont-en-Argonne (p. 124).]
371/2 M. Vienne-la- Vilie, which appears as Axuenna in the Itinerary of
Antoninus, is on the road from Rheims to Metz via Verdun. — 40 M.
Laneuville-au-Pont has a modem pilgrimagechapel, picturesquely situated
on a hill 3/4 M. to the S. of the railway. The village-church, to the left,
was built partly in the 14th, partly in the 16th century. — 451/2 M. Ste.
Menehould (see p. ii4). The train then continues to ascend the valley of