126 Route 18. CONFLANS-JARNY. From Paris
obtained, to the W., of the pastoral valley of the Meuse. Visitors are
not admitted to the Citadel, situated beyond the promenade.
Verdun is also a station on the railway from Sedan to Lérouville (Nancy;
see p. 131). — To Bar-le-Duc, see p. 144.
The railway to Metz crosses the Meuse, ascends an incline
(Côtes de Meuse) on the other bank (view to the right), passes
through a tunnel, 3/4 M. long, and beyond the plateau of the
Woïvre enters the valley of the Moselle.
187V2M. Etain(Hôt.de laSirène, Rue duPont8), a picturesque
town on the Orne, with 2800 inhab., has an interesting church of
the 13th and 16th cent., in which is a Madonna attributed to
Ligier Richier (pp. 131, 144).
199 M. Conflans-Jarny (Buffet; Hôtel opposite), near the con¬
fluence of the Orne and Yron.
Conflans-Jarny is the junction of the railway from Longuyon to Pagny
sur-Moselle (see p. 123). The first station to the S. is (5'/2 M.) Mars-la-Tour
(see p. 133). — Branch-railways also run from Conflans-Jarny to (8 M.)
Briey (Croix Blanche), an industrial town with 2000 inhab., and tof/î'/zM.)
Ilomécourt-Joeuf, both following the same rails as far as (4'/2 M.) Valleray.
204 M. Batilly, with the French custom-house. The train then
crosses the battlefield of Gravelotte (p. 135).
208 M. Amanvillers (Buffet), the first German station, with the
German custom-house. German time is 55 min. in advanee of
Parisian time. Gravelotte lies 41/2 M. to the S., St. Privât (omni¬
bus) IV4M. to the N., andSte.Marie-aux-Chènes 21/i1A. to the N.E.
We change carriages at Amanvillers, and descend the valley of
Monvaux. On the left are the forts of Plappeville and St. Quentin.—
213 M. Moulins-lès-Metz. The line to Thionville (p. 133) is seento
the left. The train crosses the Moselle, and joins the railway from Frou-
ard (R. 16a), and then the line from Saarbrûcken and Strassburg.
217 M. Metz, see p. 134.
c. Via Rheims and Verdun.
220 M. in 9'/4-llVi hrs., 222>/2 M. in 93/4-12'/2 hrs., or 230 M. in 10'/j-
12'/2 hrs., according as Rheims is reached via La Ferté-Milon (Ligne de
l'Est), via Soissons (Ligne du Nord), or via Epernay (Ligne de l'Est). Fares
about 42 fr., 28 fr. 50, 18 fr. 50 c.
From Paris to (97-107 M.) Rheims, see R. 16. — This line di¬
verges to the right from that to Laon and Mézières-Charleville, and
making a wide détour round the town, enters the valley of the
Vesle, which it ascends to St. Hilaire. The monotonous plains of La
Haute Champagne are traversed. 105'/2 M. (from Paris via La Ferté-
Milon; 2!/2 or 10M. longer by the other routes) Sillery, which gives
its name to a well-known brand of Champagne; 110 M. Thuisy;
11272 M. Sept-Saulx. To the left of (115y2 M.) the station of
Mourmelon stretches the immense Camp de Châlons (29,650 acres),
established in 1857 by Napoléon III., and before 1870 a very im¬
portant military centre. Since the war it has been used only for