50 Route 5. ROUEN. Palais de Justice.
Cornexlle (1606-84), the dramatist, his brother Thomae (1625-1709), Jouvenet
(1647-1717), Gérieault (1791-1824), the painter, and Boïcldieu (1775-1834)
the composer. Lord Chancellor Hyde, Earl of Clarendon, died in exile at
Rouen m 1674.
Quitting the Gare de la Rive Droite (PI. 0, 1), we turn to the
left by the Rue Verte, whence we see to the left the fine tower
(partly modem) of St. Romain (PI. O, 1), a church of the 17-18th
cent., with a richly decorated interior. Farther on we cross the
boulevards and enter the wide and handsome Rue Jeanne d'Arc,
which runs in a straight line to the Seine. At the point of inter¬
section is a bronze statue, by Lefeuvre, of Armand Carrel (1800-
1836), a distinguished publicist. To the left is the Tour de Jeanne
d'Arc (PL C, 1), the donjon of a castle built by Philip Augustus
after the expulsion of the English in 1204, which was the scène
of the trial of Joan of Arc; the tower in which she was imprisoned
was pulled down in 1809. — On the E. side of the Jardin Solférino
(PI. C, 2), farther down the Rue Jeanne d'Arc, is the Muse'e des
Beaux-Arts (p. 54).
The «Palais de Justice (PI. O, D, 2, 3), built by the architects
Roger Ango and Roland Leroux in the florid late-Gothic style, re-
sembles the handsome town-halls of Belgium, although consisting
of two stories only. The central part of the édifice and the project-
ing wings form an entrance-court, enclosed by a railing. The left
wing, the Salle des Procureurs or des Pas-Perdus, erected in 1493,
is a spacious hall with a high-pitched waggon-roof of timber,
formerly used as an exchange. The central part was erected six
years later, for the Cour de l'Echiquier, the suprême tribunal (Parle¬
ment) of Normandy, and its façade is very richly ornamented. The
assizes are now held hère. The lavish décorations of the interior
are almost entirely modem. The Salle des Assises has a fine cassetted
çeiling in carved wood. The courts are open to the public when
in session, and- at other tlmes visitors apply to the concierge, who
lives in the right wing, a modem addition (fee). — Behind the
Palais de Justice, Rue St. Lô 40, is the Hôtel des Sociétés Savantes,
containing a good Commercial Muséum, open daily, except Sun.
and holidays, 9-12 and 2-4 or 6.
Returning to the Rue Jeanne d'Arc, we descend it to the flrst
street on the left, which brings us to the Tour de la Grosse Horloge
or Beffroi (Belfry ; Pi: C, 3), erected in 1389 and restored in 1892.
The clock, which has two large sculptured dials, is placed on a kind
of Porch of the 16th century. In the basement of the tower is a
fountain, with figures of Alpheus and Arethusa, and beneath the
porch are bas-reliefs representing the Good Shepherd. The Rue
Thouret, to the left, beyond the tower, leading past the former
Hôtel de Ville (16th cent.) to the Palais de Justice (see above), is
named after J. C. Thouret, deputy from Rouen to the Tiers-Etat in
1789; his bust is on the left. — Opposite the end of the Rue de la
Grosse Horloge rists the —