46 Route 4. FORGES-LES-EAUX. From Dieppe
The town containi a small Musée. — Beyond (26J/2 M.) Nesle-
St-Saire the railway quits the valley of the Béthune. — 30 M.
Serqueux (Buffet), also a station on the line from Amiens to Rouen
(p. 31), in connection with the railway to Le Tréport (p. 37).
32 M. Forges-les-Eaux. — Hotels. Grand Hôtel do Parc, at tbe
Etablissement; Coniinental, close by, R. & A. 3-8, L. 1/2, B. i-l'/4, déj. 4,
D. 5 incl. wine, pens. from 10 fr. ; Mouton, Lion d'Or,' both in the town.
— Etablissement. Adm. in the forenoon 50 c, afternoon 1 fr., whole day
l'Ai fr. ; subscription for a month 25 fr. ; bath 2'/2-5 fr. (including linen). —
Omnibus from the Hôtel du Mouton to Serqueux (see above) in connection
with the trains.
Forges owes its réputation to its cold Chalybeate Springs, first
brought into notice by Anne of Austria, mother of Louis XIV.,
but now little frequented. The Etablissement, including a casino
and a hôtel, is situated in a small park, about 1 '/4 M. from the
station. The attractions it boasts are hardly worth the charge made
for admission. The large Place de Brevière, in the town, is embel-
lishedwith a bust of Brevière, the engraver (1787-1869). Adjacent
is a modem Gothic Church, in the style of the 13th century.
46 M. Gournay (Hôtel du Nord), a town with 4050 inhab., is
the centre of the Pays de Bray, a fertile grazing country, noted for
its butter. Between the station and the town rises a recently-restored
Church, in the Transition style, containing some good wood-carving.
The street in front of the church leads to the Place Nationale, in
which is a fountain dating from the 18th century. Passing the Hôtel
de Ville a little farther on, we tum to the left, and return to the
station by way of the pleasant boulevards. — Railway to Beauvais
(St. Germer), see p. 35.
The line now traverses the Vallée de Bray and beyond (60 M.)
Eragny enters a hilly pastoral district, watered by the Epie.
61Y2 M. Gisors (Buffet; Hôtel de l'Ecu-de-France, in the main
street), a town with 4680 inhab., situated on the Epte and two of
its tributaries, was the former capital of the Norman Vexin.
The Vexin (Pagus Vaucassinus) was the mediseval name of the région
extending along the right bank of the Seine from the Oise to beyond
Jumièges; the N. portion, below Vernon, was the Norman Vexin, a
district often disputed by the English and French, the S. part was the
The town is divided into two parts by a broad thoroughfare,
called the Rue de Cappeville as far as the Epte and thence the Rue
du Bourg. The Rue de Paris leads from the foot of the Rue du
Bourg to (Y2 M.) the station of Gisors-Ville, the terminus of the
line to Beauvais (p. 35). — No. 20 in the Rue du Fosse-des-Tan-
neurs, which runs from the Rue de Cappeville to the Rue de Paris,
is a Timber House in the Renaissance style, with a richly carved
façade. The Hôtel de Ville, farther on, was formerly a convent; the
façade on the other side is the more interesting. It contains a small
Musée and a library. Behind, at some little distance, is a fine
modem brick Hospital.