44 Route 4. POISSY. From Rouen
at the top of the towers, formed by a double balustrade, is modem.
The W. façade is embellished with a fine rose-window and the triple
portai is richly sculptured, though unfortunately mutilated. The
part to the right dates from the 14th century.
The fine Interior, which consists of a nave, aisles, and choir, without
transepts, is unusually brightly lighted, owing to the absence of stained
Windows. In the nave round pillars alternate with clustered columns,
some of which rise as high as the lofty vaulting. The pillars at the end
of the choir, and those supporting the stilted Gothic arches, are specially
noteworthy. The triforium gallery is lighted by small Windows from
behind. The towers, from the height of the vaulting of the aisles to the
summit of the nave, open into the church. The five apsidal chapels, and
the large S. chapel, the roof of which is supported by a central pillar,
were added in the 14th century.
A small island in the Seine hère U united with Mantes and
with Limay, on the opposite bank, by handsome modem bridges.
Another old bridge (12-15th cent.) spans the Seine farther up.
From Mantes to Paris via Aroenteuil, 36 M., railwav in l-l3/i hr.
(fares 6 fr. 50, 4 fr.40, 2 fr. 85 c). This line crosses the Seine and follows
the right bank via (l.3,4 M.) Limay, (7 M.) Juziers, (107-2 M.) Meulan, a
prettily situated little town with an interesting church, and (14 M.) Triel,
also possessing an interesting church (13-15th cent.). Fine view of the
Seine, to the right. We s'tirt tbe hill of the Hautil (555 ft.), and crosa the
Oise just before reaching (20'/2 M.) Conflans-Sl-Honorine, '/» M. from thê
other station at Conflans (p. 48). Thence to Paris via (23'/2 M.) Herblay,
(2572 M.) Cormeilles-en-Parisis, and (30 M.) Argenteuil (Soleil d'Or), see
Railway to Caen and Cherbourg, see R. 21.
To the left, as we quit the station of Mantes , we obtain a fine
view of the towers of the town. 98 M. Epône-Mézières; 103 M. Les
Mureaux, 3/4 M. from Meulan (see above); 106 M. Vernouillet, the
station on the left bank for Triel (see above). The railway now
closely follows the windings of the Seine, on its left bank.
108 M. Poissy (Buffet; Hôtel de Rouen, at the station, near the
bridge), a town with 6980 inhab., was the birthplace of St. Louis
(1215-70), who frequently styled himself 'Louis de Poissy'. Hère
in 1561 a conférence was assembled by order ofthe States General,
with a view to adjust the différences between the Roman Catholic
and Protestant parties. Their délibérations, however, led to no re¬
suit, owing to the strong condemnation ofthe Huguenots by the Sor-
bonne. — The principal Church is a fine building ofthe Transition
style of the 12th cent., altered in the 15-16th cent., and recently
restored in the interior. Above the centre rises a well-preserved
bell-tower , terminating in a lofty spire, and at the W. end is a
square tower, surmounted by an ootagonal story capped by a small
stone spire. We enter by the double portai on the S. side, an élé¬
gant work of the 16th cent., but unfortunately much mutilated. The
interior, which has no transepts, possesses considérable antiquarian
interest. The nave and part of the choir show both Norman and
Gothic arches, and groined vaults, the compartments of which are
separated by arched joists, as in barrel-vaulting. The triforium is
formed by a row of twin-ari-k.es. The aisles exhibit vaulting in