4. Route. 43
75^2 M. Vernon (Hôtel d'Evreux; Lion-d'Or), with 8500 inhab.,
once a strongly-fortified town, possesses a conspicnous tower, erected
in 1123 by Henry I. of England. The Church is an interesting build¬
ing of the 12-15th cent., containing several noteworthy works of
art. To the S. stretches the Forest of Bizy ; and on the right bank
of the Seine are Vernonnet (see below) and the Forest of Vernon.
From Vernon to Gisors, 25 M., railway in l'/2-3 hrs. (fares 4 fr. 60,
3 fr. 10 c, 2 fr.). The trains start from a spécial station, adjoining the
main-line station. — We cross the Seine. Beyond (t'/. M.) Vernonnet,
where there are large quarries, the train enters the valley of the Epte,
and ascends it as far as Gisors. — 6 M. Gasny. About 1 M. to the E., on
the right bank of the Seine, lies La Roche-Guyon (Hôt. de la Maison-Rouge ;
Hôt. Pitre), with a ruined château of the 12-16th cent., another partly
modem château belonging to the Larochefoucauld family, and a Con¬
valescents' Home in connection with the hospitals at Paris. — 10'/> M.
Bray-Ecos. The village of Bray has a zinc-foundry ; Ecos, about 3 M. to
the W., is interesting on account of the fine Château du Chtsnay, dating
from the 15-16th cent., but largely rebuilt in modem times, and lavishly
adorned with sculptures and paintings from the hand of the proprietor,
M. de Pulligny.—At (lS'/e M.) Dangu is a 16th cent, château, surrounded
with an extensive park. Dangu also contains a zinc-foundry. — 22 M.
Inral. To the left, the tower of Neaufles (12th cent.). Our line now joins
the railway from Pont-de-1'Arche (p. 47). 24'/2 M. Gisors-Ville. — 25 M.
Another railway runs from Vernon to (10'/a M.) Pacy-sur-Eure, where
it joins the line from Bueil to Elbeuf (p. 59).
The long tunnel between (82 M.) Bonnières and Rolleboise cuts
off the wide circuit which the river describes hère. The château of
La Roche-Guyon (see above) lies about 5 M. distant. A branch from
Bonnières joins the line to Gisors (see above). — At the château of
(84 M.) Rosny Sully, the celebrated minister of Henri IV, was
born in 1559. The Duchess of Berry resided in it from 1818 to 1830.
92!/.2 M. Mantes (Grand Cerf; Rocher de Cancale), a picturesque
town with 8000 inhab., surnamed 'La Jolie', has two railway-sta-
tions : Mantes-Station, where many of the trains do not stop, and
Mantes-Embranchement (Buffet), where the route to Caen and Cher¬
bourg (R. 21) diverges. The Avenue de la Re'publique, leading from
the latter station to the Place de la République, and the Rue Na¬
tionale, leading thence to the Seine, are the most important of the
broad streets which characterize this town.
The old tower of St. Maclou, open at the top and adorned with
carved niches for statues (some of which remain), unités the Gothic
and Renaissance styles ; it dates from the 14th century. The ad¬
joining Hôtel de Ville and Tribunal are both ancient but devoid of
interest; between them is a Renaissance Fountain of 1521.
It was at the capture of Mantes that William the Conqueror
received by a fall from his horse the injury of which he afterwards
died at Rouen (1087); and that prince is said to hâve bequeathed a
large sum for the érection of the présent Gothic church of *Notre-
Dame on the site of one burned down during the siège. The bulk
of the édifice dates from the end of the 12th cent., though it has
been frequently altered and recently restored. The élégant gallery