40 Route 4. DIEPPE From Dieppe
The Rue Sygogne (PI. B, 1, 2), which skirts the base of the
castle-hill, is now one ofthe finest streets in Dieppe, mainly through
the exertions of M. Frosmont, who is hère commemorated by a
On a precipitous white cliff at the W. extremity ofthe Plage rises
the picturesque Castle (PI. B, 1, 2), with its massive walls, towers,
and bastions, erected in 1435 as a defence against the English. In
1694, however, it was unable to resist the cannonade of the English
fleet (p. 39). The castle is now used as barracks, and visitors are
not allowed to pass through it to the fine points of view on the
adjoining cliffs. Thèse, however, may be reached by other routes,
We regain the town by the Rue de la Barre, which is continued
to the E., to the Quai Henri IV, by the Grande Rue.
The church of St. Remy (PI. 5; C, 2), not far from the castle,
in a mixed style of the 16th and 17th cent., contains huge round
columns, of which those in the choir hâve elaborately carved cap-
itals. In the Lady Chapel, and at the entrance to the sacristy, on the
left of the choir, are some good sculptures. The organ-case dates
from the 18th cent. ; the stained glass (by Lusson) is modem.
The church of St. Jacques (PL 4; C, D, 2), a little farther on,
is an interesting florid Gothic édifice, dating from the 12-16th cent.
and possessing ail that 'lace-like beauty of détail and elaborate
finish, which charms in spite of soberer reason, that tells us it is
not in stone that such vagaries should be attempted' (Fergusson).
The 14th cent, portai is flanked with turrets, adorned with statues
in niches; the W. tower dates from the 16th century. The interior
is fine. The bosses of the vaults of the choir and several of the
chapels are sculptnred ; and the church also contains other rioh
carved work in the Pointed and Renaissance styles, such as the
balustrade of the choir, the screen of the first chapel on the right
(enclosing a modem Holy Sepulchre), the screens of some of the
other chapels, and the fine arches to the left ofthe choir. The chief
attraction of the interior is, however, the Lady Chapel, richly
adorned with sculptures and modem stained glass by Lusson, re-
presenting the Death and Coronation of the Virgin, the Vision of
Pope Pins V., the Triumph of Don Juan after Lepanto, the Capture
of Le Pollet by Louis XI. in 1443, and the procession which
followed. The fine wooden staircase in the sacristy, the modem
choir-stalls, the organ-case, and the pulpit are noteworthy.
The Place Nationale, adjoining the church, is embellished with
a fine Statue of Duquesne (PI. 15; D,2), a native of Dieppe, and one
ofthe most illustrious admirais of France, who defeated the Dutch
admirai De Ruyter in 1676. The statue is by the elder Dantan.
The most interesting point in the environs of Dieppe is the ruined castle
of Arques (p. 45), situated 4 M. to the S.E. Tbe excursion may be made
by train or by cairiage (there and back 5 or 6 fr.). The "View from the
castle embraces the valleys of the Arquis, the Bilhune, and the Euulne.