4. Route. 39
town dérives its name. In spite of the vicinity of Le Havre, Dieppe
still carries on a considérable trade in coal with England and in
timber with Norway and Sweden. Fish is, however, the staple com-
modity of the place. Dieppe is also a fashionable watering-place,
being annually visited by numerous English, as well as French
families. Captured and destroyed several times during the wars
between England and France and afterwards in the religious wars,
Dieppe suffered severely from the plague in 1668 and 1670, and in
1694 the citadel and town were reduced to îuins by the English
fleet returning from an unsuccessful attack on Brest (p. 219).
The Gare Maritime (PI. E, 2) and the Steamboat Quays are on
the N. side of the old Avant Port or outer harbour. To the S.W.,
beyond the Bassins Duquesne and Bérigny, lies the Central Station
(PI. C, 3) ; and to the E., between the Bassin Duquesne and the
suburb of Le Pollet (PI. E, 3), inhabited by sailors and fishermen
said to be of Venetian origin, are several basins opened in 1887.
To the N. of the Gare Maritime extends the old Vieux Chenal, or
harbour-entrance; a good view may be obtained from the W. pier.
On the opposite cliffs rises the modem Gothic church of Notre-Dame-
de-Bon-Secours (PI. F, 2). The Quai Henri IV, on which stands
the Collège (PI. D, 2), built in the 18th cent., leads to the W. from
the Gare Maritime. At its W. end is the Poissonnerie, or Fish-Market
(Pl.D, 2), which présents a busy and animated scène in the morning.
Along the N. side of the town, between tho sea and the Rue
Aguado, in which are the principal hôtels, stretches La Plage (PL C,
D, E, 1), a handsome marine park or promenade, 2/3 M. long. The
tall chimneys seen in the Rue Aguado belong to ( he extensive To¬
bacco Manufactory (PI. 9).
At the W. extremity of the Plage is the Casino or Etablissement
de Bains (PI. C, 1), a handsome brick and glass structure replète
with every convenienoe and including a small théâtre (adm., see
p. 3S). In front of it are placed about 200 small cabins or tents,
used as dressing-rooms, from which the bathers descend into the
water, accompanied by a guide-baigneur, if necessary. In fine weather
the scène is very amusing, and novel withal to the English visitor.
The site of the casino was occupied until the end of the 14th
cent, by a small harbour, a relie of which still exists in the Porte
du Port-d'Ouest (PI. 13 ; C, 1), a gateway with two round towers, to
the S. Close by, in the Place de Saint-Saëns, is the Théâtre (PI. 16;
C, 2); and to the E. are the Warm Baths (PI. 1; C, 1) and the
Hôtel de Ville (PI. 8 ; C, 1, 2). — The Musée (PI. 11 ; C, 1), in the
Rue de l'Hôtel-de-Ville, contains antiquities found in the neigh-
bourhood, local curiosities, a natural history collection, and some
paintings, besides the artistic collections (furniture, bronzes, sculp¬
tures, paintings, etc.) and library recently presented to his native
town by Camille Saint-Saëns, the composer. Adm. daily, except
Mon., in summer, 11-4, in winter on Thurs., Sat., and Sun., 11-3.