Departure from the Pirseus, see p. 3. The vessels then skirt
Cape Colonna, the ancient Sunion (p. 128), and steer between Keos
and Thermia, passing to the S. of Gioura(Gyaros). In the distance
we see Andros and then (to the left) Tenos. We then round the N.
end of the island of Syra and reach —
Hermoupolis. — Embarkation and Disembarkation as at the Piraeus
(1 fr.). A strict bargain should be made with the boatmen, who at first
make extravagant demands; they understand Italian.
Hotels. Hotel de la Ville, Hotel d'Angleterre, both in the
Platia, R. 3-5 fr., pens. 10 fr. — Good Greek cookery at the XenodocMon
tou Stimmatos, at the harbour.
Steamboat Offices at the harbour, to the right of the landing-place.
Post Office in the Eue d'Apollon, near the harbour and the Platia.
British Consul. W. P. Binney, Esq.
Hermoupolis or Nea-Syros, a town with 21,250 inhab., the cap¬
ital of the island of Syros or Syra, and the seat of the nomarch of
the Cyclades, a Roman Catholic bishop, and a Greek archbishop
is picturesquely situated on two hills rising from a beautiful
and sheltered bay. Its owes its origin to the refugees from Chios
and Psara, who settled here after the devastation of their island-
homes in 1821. Its favourable situation on the direct route of the
French, Austrian, and other steamers for Constantinople and the
Black Sea, soon made it the principal commercial town of Greece,
but it has recently been surpassed by Athens, the Piraeus, and Patras.
The town consists of two main streets and the large square or
market-place (izkatzla, platia). In the latter rises the Hagia Me¬
tamorphosis, or Church of the Transfiguration. To the N. lies the
new town, with the handsome domed church of St. Nicholas. To
the S. is the old town, which possesses ship-building yards and a
A wide street ascends, at places by flights of steps, to the med¬
iaeval Paljeo-Syhos, which is inhabited almost exclusively by
Roman Catholic descendants of Venetian settlers. These persons,
who stood under French protection during the Turkish domination,
have always felt more or less antagonistic to the orthodox Greeks
and they took little share in the War of Liberation. On the highest
point (1 hr.) stands the Roman Catholic Church of St. George, com¬
manding an admirable view of Syra and the surrounding islands. —
A still more extensive view is obtained from the Pyrgos (1615 ft.),
a hill consisting of marble veined with mica. The path to the top
begins about halfway up the hill of St. George, turns to the left at
the dye-works, and farther on ascends in an almost straight direc¬
tion. About 1/2 hr. from the summit stands the recently-built church
of Hagia Paraskeve (the priests offer refreshments).
Those who have a whole day to spend here should not fail to
visit the Panagia della Grazia, beautifully situated on the E.
coast of the island and reached by an easy carriage-road, passing
through the best cultivated part of the island (2-3 hrs.; carr. 15 fr.).
Those who prefer to walk should ask to be shown the footpath,