W. Route. 133
vEgina, to use the expression of Perikles, was a constant 'eye-sore'; its
subjugation was indispensable to the extension of the naval power of
Athens. The Athenian naval victories at Kekryphaleia and off .ffigina,
quickly following on each other, were decisive. In spite of wars carried
on at the same time at Megara and in Egypt, the Athenians took the city
in B.C. 456 after a nine months siege; the ./Eginetans had to raze their
walls, surrender their war-ships, and pay a tribute. But even these severe
measures seemed insufficient; for when the Peloponnesian War broke out
in 431, the .3£ginetans were expelled altogether from their island, which
was then divided among Attic citizens. Though the fall of Athens in 404
was the signal for the return of many of the islanders, jEgina never re¬
covered its prosperity. Athens quickly regained her power and sent re¬
peated expeditions which once more reduced the island, and thenceforth
jEgina shared the fortunes of the Attic state.
The modern town, which occupies almost exactly the same
site as its predecessor, contains few interesting antiquities. On
a mound a little to the N., consisting almost entirely of rubbish,
pot-sherds, etc. rises a Doric column, about 25 ft. high , which is
said to have belonged to a Temple of Aphrodite. A fragment of the
substructure of the building is also extant; but the rest was used
in the construction of a breakwater by President Kapodistrias, who
fixed his residence in iEgina in 1828. — The remains of the Ancient
Moles, which made up for the want of a natural harbour, are in
better preservation. On the S. mole is a mediaeval tower, while the
N. mole bears a lighthouse and the white chapel of St. Nicholas.
The moles, which are well seen from the temple, appear to have
been a continuation of the city-walls. — The Platia, at some di¬
stance from the harbour, is embellished with a marble bust of Ka¬
podistrias (d. 1831), erected in 1887. — Cafe', see p. 131.
A Tumulus, 1 M. farther to the N., not unlike the Soros at Ma¬
rathon, has been described, though erroneously, as the grave of
Phokos, who was slain by his half-brothers Peleus and Telamon.
A good view of Megara may be obtained hence through a telescope.
To the S. of the town lies the large Orphanage (opcpavoxpocpstov)
built by Kapodistrias, and at present used as a barrack and prison.
The entrance gate, in front of which are a few sculptured fragments
and inscribed stones, leads into a large court, adjoined by an open
arcade containing a few sculptured remains. To the left, in the
farther corner, beside a well, an ancient subterranean Tomb has
been preserved. Removing the planks which cover the entrance,
we descend a short winding-stair to a dark apartment, with walls
covered with rude sketches, some of which are ancient.
The most important relic of antiquity, which even by itself
would repay a visit to ^Egina, is the ruined temple ('staes Kolon-
naes) about 2V_> hrs. distant. The road is sufficiently puzzling to
render a guide necessary; and its rough and stony nature makes
riding advisable. At first it traverses vineyards, amongst which
are numerous ancient graves, now planted with fig-trees; and then
it passes cornfields, the soil of which is in few places more than
3 ft. deep. We then skirt the slopes of some low hills, and pass