9. Route. 1 05
The Railway' prom Athens to thk Pulsus, the oldest of the
Greek lines, runs partly through cuttings and does not command so
many views as the road. The best view is obtained to the right,
where the olive grove and N. part of the plain of Athens is over¬
looked. The only intermediate station is Phaleron (Hotel, with
good restaurant; Bath Establishments, bath 50 c), a favourite resort
of the Athenians for sea-bathing in summer, with an open-air
theatre (comp. p. 34). — About l/t M. to the N. of Phaleron,
between the two lines of railway, is the Monument of Karaiskakis,
the brave and shrewd leader of the Klephts, who fell here in a sor¬
tie on May 6th, 1827, the day before the grand attack on the camp
of Kioutagi he had planned for the relief of Athens (comp. p. 44).
The train skirts the base of the projecting hill, where the
southernmost of the Long Walls joined the fortifications of the Pi¬
raeus. The monument on the hill commemorates the French and
English soldiers who died at the Pirseus in 1854.
Pirseus. — Both the Railway Stations (for the old line to Athens
and for the Peloponnesian Railway) are on the N. side of the town, near
the harbour. Those who mean to proceed at once by steamer may entrust
themselves to the guidance of one of the boatmen at the station.
Hotels. Hotel St. Petersbourg, Hotel des Etrangers, both in
the Place d'Apollon, on the N. bank of the harbour, R. 2-5 fr., French
and Italian spoken.
Restaurants. Ares, below the Hotel St. Pe'tersbourg; Lavra, adjoin¬
ing the church of St. Spiridion; Acropolis, at the N.E. corner of the Place
de Themistocle, adjoining the Exchange (first floor, reached by an out¬
side staircase). — The hotels and restaurants of the Pirseus are little fre¬
quented by strangers.
Carriages in the Agora, by the harbour; to Athens 5, to Keratopyrgos
(p. 108) and back 5-6 fr.
British Consul, H. L. Dupuis, Esq. —fAmerican Vice-Consul, A. Mac-
The Piraeus or Peiraieus (pronounced Peeraevs), Italian Pireo,
French Le Piree, the flourishing seaport of Athens, with about
35,000 inhab., is in its present aspect entirely of modern growth.
When Athens was chosen as the seat of government in 1835, the
very name of its ancient port had been forgotten. A group of fisher¬
men's huts on its site was called Porto Leone, from the figure
of a lion which was carried off by the Venetians in 1687 and now
stands in front of the arsenal at Venice. Since 1835 spacious
quays, wide and regular streets, and an exchange have been con¬
structed, and the Piraeus is rapidly outstripping Syra (Hermoupolis,
p. 136). Once more as in antiquity the fine harbour is filled with
merchantmen from foreign shores, while along the banks lie the
smaller vessels, which transact the trade with the insular and other
seaports of Greece. A few men-of-war may generally be seen here
at anchor, though not those sailing under the Greek flag.
In comparison with jEgina, Corinth, and the coast-towns of Asia
Minor, Athens entered the lists of commerce at a late period. Even the
legislation of Solon is based to a great extent upon the assumption that
the Athenians are a people of husbandmen and cattle-breeders. Their naval
instincts may perhaps be dated from the capture of Salamis (p. 110).