Walks. ATHENS. 8. Route. 103
way down the new church olHagios Konstantinos (PI. C, 2). At the
end of the street we turn to the left, then to the right, and near
a bridge (PI. B, 2), reach the tramway-line. About '/g M. beyond
the bridge lies on the right the Chapel of Hagios Konstantinos, and
about 300 yds. farther on the road forks. We here leave the tram¬
way-line and proceed to the right towards the flat hill of Kolonos,
distinguished by two conspicuous white tombstones. This is the
ancient Kolonos Hippios. The stones mark the graves of the ac¬
complished antiquaries, Ottfried Muller (d. 1840) and Charles
Lenormant (d. 1859). A little to the N. is another hill, which
seems to have been sacred to Demeter.
To the S. or S.W. of the Kolonos lay the Academy, a large
piece of ground dedicated to Athena and named after Akademos,
an early owner. It was surrounded with walls by Hipparchos,
son of Peisistratos, and was at first used for gymnastic exercises.
Kimon laid it out with walks and embellished it with trees and
fountains, and 'the olive groves of Academe' became a favourite
resort of Plato and other public teachers. Through the great phil¬
osopher the name has become celebrated, and has been univer¬
sally chosen as the designation of the modern abodes of science
and art. Twelve olives of hoary antiquity (pxopiai), said to have
been propagated from shoots of the sacred tree of Athena (p. 71),
stood under the especial protection of the goddess. Beneath their
shade were altars of Zeus Kataebates (the descender on the lightning)
or Morids, of Athena herself, and of Hercules. The surrounding
district is described by Sophocles in his celebrated strophes:
'Friend, in our land of victor-steeds thou art come
To this Heaven-fostered haunt, Earth's fairest home,
Gleaming Colonos, where the nightingale
In cool green covert warbleth ever clear,
True to the deep-flushed ivy and the dear
Divine, impenetrable shade,
From wildered boughs and myriad fruitage made,
Sunless at noon, stormless in every gale.
Wood-roving Bacchus there, with mazy round,
And his nymph nurses range the unoffended ground'.
(Lewis Campbell's Translation.)
The rich vegetation has now almost entirely disappeared, but
the view of Athens and the Acropolis will amply repay the visitor. —
The Academy was once connected with the Dipylon (pp. 84, 86)
by a road flanked with monuments to Perikles and other eminent
statesmen and warriors. The grave of Plato was also formerly
shown in the neighbourhood of his favourite haunt.
Another pleasant excursion of 1-1V2 nr- may be made from the
Chapel of the Hagia Trias (p. 85; PI. A~, 4) along the 'Sacred Way'
to Eleusis and through the olive grove in the plain of the Kephisos.
On the left, about '/2 M. from the town, lies the Botanical Garden
((3ot<xvix6<; xfjiros), with its lofty poplars. About 1 M. farther on
we reach a small Kaffenion on the right, near a bridge over an arm