310 Route 49. UPSALA.
Sten Sture the Elder in 1477, and richly endowed by Gustavus
Adolphus, has over 50 professors, as many lecturers and tutors, and
about 1800 students.
Each student is bound to attach himself to- one of the thirteen 'nations1,
each of which, like the colleges of Oxford and Cambridge, has its own
buildings, presided over by curators, inspectors, and a committee of man¬
agement. The members are divided into seniores, juniores, and recentiores.
Duelling, to which severe penalties were attached hy a law of 1682, is now
unknown. One of the chief 'national' recreations is quartett-singing.
To the S. of the cathedral is the Trefaldighets-Kyrka (PI. 30;
B, C, 4), orBondkyrka(l church of the Trinity', or 'of the peasants'),
older than the cathedral, but uninteresting. Farther on is a pro¬
menade called Odins Lund (PI. 21; B, 4), with an obelisk in
memory of Gustavus Adolphus. Beyond it we reach the —
Carolina Rediviva (PI. 2; B, 4), a handsome building (with
fine view from the steps) completed in 1841, containing the Library
of the university. (Admission in term-time on week-days, 10.30 to
1.30; in vacation, IstJune tolSthSept., on Tues. and Frid., 11-1;
on other week-days usually at the same hours on application to the
librarian or an 'amanuensis'.)
The Library contains over 230,000 printed books and 7000 MSS. Its
chief treasure is the famous "Codex Argenteus, a translation of the four
Gospels into Mceso-Gothik hy Bishop Ulphilas, dating from the second half
of the 14th century, written on 187 leaves of parchment in gold and silver
letters on a reddish ground. This precious J1S., captured at Prague in
1648, was presented by Queen Christina to Vossius, her librarian, and
was purchased from him for 400 crowns by De la Gardie, the chancellor
of the university. It is to this work of Ulphilas that we are almost ex¬
clusively indebted for our knowledge of the ancient Gothic language,
which stands nearly in the same relation to the Germanic languages as
Sanskrit to the whole Aryan family.
In the Carolina Park (PL B, 4) are a Monument of Charles XIV.
John, by Fogelberg, and numerous Runic stones. To the S.W. of
the park rises the Chemical Laboratory (PI. B, 4), with the Physical
Farther to the S.W. is the Botanic Garden (PL A, 5), always
open to the public. The lecture-room contains a marble Statue of
Linnaus by Bystrom. The celebrated botanist resided at No. 27
Svartbacksgatan (PL 11; C, 3), and in summer at Hammarby (p. 306).
On a hill on the S. side of the town rises the large but only
half-finished Slott (PL C, 4), a castle founded by Gustavus Vasa
in 1548. The pulpit of the cathedral has been temporarily placed
here (p. 309). In front of it is a bust of Vasa by Fogelberg. In
this castle Erik XIV. caused the ill-fated Count Sture to be mur¬
dered, and it was here that Queen Christina abdicated. Fine * View
from the castle, to the N. of which Gamla Upsala is visible. —
Farther S. are the Hospital (Sjukhus) and the grounds of the Strom-
parterre. The Polacksbacke is another good point of view (comp.
PL C, D, 5).
Among the other university-buildings are the Gustavianum (PL
7; B, 3), with zoological and other collections; the Observatory