308 Route 49. SKOKLOSTER.
the site of a Dominican, afterwards Cistercian, monastery, sup¬
pressed by Gustavus Vasa, and presented by Gustavus Adolphus to
Marshal Herman Wrangel, whose son Charles Gustavus Wrangel
erected the chateau in the style of that of Aschaffenburg in Ger¬
many and filled it with treasures captured during the Thirty Years'
War. After his death it passed into the possession of Count Brahe,
his son-in-law, to whose family it still belongs.
The Interior, still unfinished, forms a kind of museum of art and
antiquities. The handsome Vestibule is borne by eight Ionic columns
of white marble, presented by Queen Christina. The Kunussal has a
richly decorated stucco ceiling. The staircases and vestibules are em¬
bellished with numerous portraits, pictures by Ehrenstrahl and others, and
rich tapestry. — The Library contains 30,000 vols, and many MSS. —
Observe also the Armoury with 1200 guns of various kinds; also swords,
daggers, and bows, the sword of Ziska, the famous Hussite leader, the
sword used by the executioner at the 'Blood-bath of Linkoping' (p. 269),
and the shield of Emp. Charles V., attributed to Benvenuto Cellini, and
captured at Prague in 1648.
The Gothic Skokyrka, formerly the church of the monastery,
was restored in the 17th cent, by Marshal Herman Wrangel, whose
burial-vault it contains. [We may row from Skokloster in about
an hour to Alsike, and drive thence to (7 Kil.) Knifsta railway-
station (p. 306).]
Beyond Skokloster we steer through the Stafsund into the
Ekoln. On the right are the church of Alsike and the estate of
Krusenberg. Then, on the left, the churches of Aker, Dolby, and
Nas. At the N.E. end of the Ekoln, at the mouth of the small
Fyrisa, lie Kungshamn, where the kings of Upsala once kept their
fleet, and Flotsund. The steamer ascends the Fyrisa to Upsala in
about lj-2 hr. more. On the left, nearly halfway up, is the agri¬
cultural school of Ultuna. Of Upsala we see nothing till quite close
to the town.
Upsala. — Railway Station on the E. side of the town (PI. D, E,
3, 4). Steamboats stop opposite the Slrbmparlerre (PI, D, 4, 5).
Hotels. Hotel Svea, Jernvags-Hotel (PI. 10; D, 4), Gefle, all in
Kungsgatan, near the railway-station. :::St. Erik, Bangardsgatan (PI. D, 4).
"Stads-Hotel , Drottninggatan (PI. C, 4), with good cafe-restaurant.
Restaurants. Upsala Gille, Phcenix, both in Westra Agatan; in sum¬
mer "Vauxhall (PI. D, 3; known as 'Rullan'), by the station, and "Strom-
parterre (PI. D, 4, 5), called by the students 'Flustret' ('hole of a beehive')
or 'Stora FSrderfvet' ('great ruination'), with music in the evening.
Booksellers. Akademiska fiokhandeln, Dombro; Lundeqvistska Bok-
handeln, Drottninggatan and Ostra Agatan.
Cab (Akare) from the station or the pier into the town for 1 pers. 50,
for 2 pers. 75 6.
Upsala ('the lofty halls'), a famous university-town, and resi¬
dence of the archbishop, the 'landshofding', and other officials, with
21,200 inhab., lies in a fertile plain on both banks of the Fyrisa,
which is crossed by five bridges. The modern part of thetown lies on
the flat E. bank, while the older quarters are on the sloping W.
bank. The extension of the town is projected (see Plan). Upsala
was formerly called Ostra-Aros (p. 316), and formed the commercial