304 Route 48. STRENGNAS. Excursions
kept a prisoner here by his brother Erik XIV.; but having deposed
Erik in 1568 , he kept him, after he had become insane, confined
here from 1571 to 1573. At a later period Charles IX., when Duke
of Sodermanland, and lastly the merry king Gustavus III. resided
here. The latter erected a theatre here, as in several other places,
and caused some of his dramas to be performed in it for the first
time. On 29th March, 1809, the unpopular Gustavus IV. Adolphus
signed his abdication in this castle.
Interior (always open; 'vaktmastare' 1 kr. or more). The finely pan¬
elled and richly decorated apartments contain old furniture, embroidery,
and silver plate. — There is also a very extensive *Collection of Por¬
traits, 2000 in number, including those of Gustavus Vasa and his son
Erik XIV., painted by the latter; also those of Gustavus III. and a number
of bis contemporaries. — The so-called Prison of John III. was after¬
wards the bedroom of Duke Charles of Sodermanland; its decoration dates
from the beginning of the 17th cent.: extensive view of the lake. — The
small chamber called the Prison of Erik XIV. was not built till after his
time. In 1573 the unhappy Eric was removed from Gripsholm to Westeras,
and thence in 1573 to Orbyhus, where he was poisoned hy order of his
brother in 1577 (comp. p. 323).
About 4*/2 M. to the W. of Mariefred are the large cannon-
foundry of Aker and the gunpowder-mills of Racksta.
Strengnas. — Steamers, ahout 4 daily, from the Malarehamn (PI. D,
5; Kom. 136, 138; 9 weekly) and from the Biddarholm (Kom. 139. 145,
150; 19 weekly), in 3V2-4hrs.; fare 2'/2 or l'/a kr.
Beyond the Gripsholmsvik (p. 303) opens the broad bay of
Prestfjarden, bounded on the W. by the Selad, the largest island
in Lake Malaren. On the Selao are the large estate and chateau of
Melsaker and the church of Ytter-Seld. After having passed through
the narrow strait between the Selao and the mainland we observe
on the right the small Tynnelsb, with an an old chateau, and then
Tosterd, opposite the S. end of which lies —
Strengnas (Hotel), a town with 1700 inhab., half of which has
been rebuilt since a fire in 1871. Strengnas became an episcopal
see in 1291, and in 1523 witnessed the election of Gustavus Vasa
to the throne of Sweden. The handsome Gothic * Cathedral, con¬
secrated in 1291, has been repeatedly injured by fire and restored.
The disproportionate thickness of the columns is accounted for by
the fact that the walls were considerably lowered in 1551. Ob¬
serve the monuments of Sten Sture the Elder (d. 1504), Charles IX.
(d. 1609), his two wives, and his natural son Karlsson Gyllenhjelm
(d. 1650 ; with the fetters worn by him when a captive in Poland),
Admiral Stenbock (d. 1717 in captivity at Copenhagen), and several
antiquities. — The old episcopal mansion built by Bishop Conrad
Rogge, with picturesque gables and turrets, now a school-house,
contains the room in which the election of Gustavus Vasa took
place. The Episcopal Library contains valuable collections, MSS.,