of Stockholm. GRIPSHOLM. 48. Route. 303
ally resides here in summer. Admission generally about midday
(fee 1 kr., for a party 50 6. each). Adjacent is a theatre, built by
Gustavus III. The gardens, partly laid out in the old French style,
are embellished with sculptures in bronze and marble by Adr. de
Vries and his pupils. The *Park affords delightful walks. One
of the curiosities here, a little S.W. of the palace, is the Chinese
Pagoda ('Kina Slott'), erected by Adolphus Frederick in 1770 as
a surprise for his queen Lovisa Ulrika.
Mariepred and Gripsholm. — Steamer (Kom. 153) daily at 3.30
p.m., from the Malarehamn (PI. E, 5), in 33/4hrs. (fare l'/s or lkr.), return¬
ing early next morning. Excursions usually on Thursdays (there and
back in one day), but apt to be crowded.
The steamboat passes between the Fogeld and the mainland.
Then, on the right, the island of Kungshatt, so named from a rock
crowned with an iron hat, in memory of the tradition that Olaf
Haraldsson, king of Norway, when pursued by the king of Sweden,
sprang with his horse from this rock into the lake and escaped,
leaving his hat behind him. We next enter a strait, 8M. long,
between the Munsd (right) and the mainland. On the latter is
the chateau of Sturehof, and on the island the church of Eckerd.
The island of Kaggeholm, with a chateau built by Field - Marshal
Kagg, terminates the broader arm of the lake, which is connected
by two narrow straits only with the Sodra Bjdrkfjarden. The lake
expands here into a broad basin. A little to the N. is the Bjbrkd,
the ancient Birka, on which a granite cross was erected in 1834 in
memory of St. Ansgar, who first preached Christianity here in 829.
Farther N. is the Adelsd, and nearer lie the Kurd and the Ridd. On
the left lies the mainland with the church of Enhdrna, in front of
which are several islets. We now steer to the S., and enter the
Gripsholms-Vik, on the W. bank of which, not visible from the
steamer, is Rafsnas, where Gustavus Vasa received tidings of the
death of his father Erik in the massacre of 1520 (p. 283). On the S.
bank of the bay is the chateau of Nasby, and in a creek to the W.
of it are seen the red houses and the church-tower of Mariefred,
with the castle of Gripsholm.
Mariefred (Stadskallare, commended), a little town of 930 in¬
hab., owes its origin to the monastery of 'Pax Maria?' founded here
at the end of the 15th cent, by Sten Sture the Elder. On a promon¬
tory to the S., rising proudly from an environment of dark foliage,
is the —
*Castle of Gripsholm, with its four towers mirrored in the
Malar. At the end of the 14th cent, this site was occupied by a
castle of Bo Jonsson Grip ('the griffin', so named from the griffin in
his armorial bearings), the all-powerful minister of King Albert.
The present castle was built by Gustavus Vasa (1537), who at the
same time suppressed the monastery. In 1563-67 Vasa's son John,
who had been condemned to death by the Estates for rebellion, was