72 Route 10.
Jarl and Erling Steinvag) on the ground between this church and
that of St. Lawrence, a little to the N., and a number of the
latter were also interred here.
The Cathedral, or St. Olaf i Vaagsbunden ('at the head of the
creek'), originally a monastery-church, erected in 1248, was
rebuilt in 1537 and restored in 1870. The interior, consisting of
a nave with a single S. aisle, contains nothing worthy of notice.
The Gothic windows and the portal in the lower story of the tower
are interesting. The font consists of a basin inserted in a laurel-
wreath borne by an angel suspended from the ceiling. — Near the
Cathedral are the Kathedral-Skole, or Latin-Skole, the Sefarendes-
Fattighus (sailors' hospital), and the Spetal, or St. Jergen's Hospital,
for the reception of 'Spedalske' or lepers.
The Korskirke, or Church of the Cross, in the Hollaendergade,
where Nils Klim, famous for his'Subterranean Journey'(p. lxxxvi),
was once sacristan, is uninteresting. — In the neighbourhood are
the streets of the Skomagere, Skinnere, Bagere, Guldsmede, and
Barberer, deriving their names from the 'fif Amten' or five
handicrafts of the German artizans once settled here. The great
fire of 1855 extended to this point. •— The Nykirke on the Nord-
nses is a plain edifice, but the Roman T3atno'M'"r?t. Paulskirke
(PI. 4) deserves notice.
At the head (S.E. end) of the harbour, lies the Torv, or
Market Place, adjoined on the N. by the Vitterslevs-Almenning, and
on the S. by the Torve-Almenning. In the former is situated the
new Covered Market, usually known as the Basar, a handsome
edifice in brick and stone, completed in 1877. From this point a
winding road ascends to the spurs of the Fleifjeld, or we may
proceed to the left through the 0vre Gade to the Marisekirke. In
the opposite direction is the Torve-Almenning, ascending to the
S., and. containing the handsomest modern buildings in the city,
including the Exchange(V\. 2), the principal banks, and some of the
best shops. At the top of the hill rises the Statue of Christie, the
president of the first Norwegian Storthing, which concluded the
convention with Sweden in 1814 (comp. p. 113). The statue is by
Borch. The right hand holds a scroll bearing the words, 'Norge
Riges Grundlov'('fundamental law of the Kingdom of Norway'). At
the S. end of the Plads is the Town Library. — From the Torv, at
the head of the harbour, projects a pier called Triangelen from
its shape, at which the fishermen of the neighbourhood, called
Striler, and said to be of Scotch origin, usually land their fish.
The *Fish Market held here is very interesting, especially on
Wednesdays and Saturdays, from 8 to 10 o'clock.
To the N. of the Torv, on the N.W. side of the harbour, ex¬
tends *Tydskebryggen, or the German Quay, bordered with a long
series of warehouses, painted white, with large windows. In front
of each rises a wooden Vippebom, or crane of simple and primitive