16 Route 2. DRAMMEN. From Christiania
Drammen. — In Strems0: 'Central Hotel, opposite the station, en¬
trance in a side-street, with restaurant, D. 2, S. IV2 kr.; Britannia, in
the Fremgade, leading E. to Tangen. — In Bragernces: -Hotel Kong
Carl, in the Stor-Gade, near the market-place.
Cab with one horse, for 1 person 40 0. per drive; with two horses
for 2 persons 60 0. — Omnibus from Bragernses-Torv to Tangen.
Sommerfryd-Badeanstalt, on the E. side of Bragerntes, at the end of
Erik-B0rresens-Gaden, near the fire-engine station.
British Vice-Consul, Mr. F. W. Melhuus.
Steamboats to Holmestrand, Horten, and Moss daily; to T0nsberg
and Sandefjord once weekly; to Liverpool once monthly.
Railway (Grevskabane) to Holmestrand, T0nsberg, Laurvik, Porsgrund,
and Skien, see pp. 31-33.
Drammen, with 18.850 inhab., situated on both banks of the
Drammenselv, consists of Bragernas on the N. bank, containing
about 11,000 inhab., Stremse on the S. side, and Tangen to the
S.E., which originally formed three distinct communities. Bra-
gernaes, the principal quarter, has been rebuilt since its almost
entire destruction by fire in 1866 and a great part of Strermse and
Tangen since a fire in 1870. The situation of DTammen on the
estuary of the river, between hills of considerable height, is pictur¬
esque, and not without pretensions to grandeur. The pretty fjord
extends down to Holmestrand (p. 31). The trade of the place is
very considerable, consisting chiefly in the export of timber from
the forests of Hadeland, Valders, the Hallingdal, and part of the
Numedal (annual value over 5,000,000 kr.), and of a quantity of
zinc and nickel from Skouger and Ringerike. The commercial
fleet of Drammen, numbering more than 300 vessels, is one of the
largest in Norway, vying in importance with those of Christiania
and Arendal, and having an aggregate burden of 72,000 tons.
Vessels of large tonnage can load and discharge at the stone quays
of Bragernaes. The town also possesses a number of saw-mills,
iron-works, and manufactories.
The railway-station lies at the S. end of a long Timber Bridge,
crossing the Drammenselv and connecting Stremstf and Bragernaes.
The bridge affords a pleasant promenade in hot weather, on account
of the cool breezes always blowing up or down the valley. Charm¬
ing prospect in every direction; the Brandposten (p. 17), with
its two flagstaffs, is conspicuous on the hill-side to the right.
The bridge leads from the station to the Bragemas-Torv, the
chief market-place, in which, to the right, are the Exchange (with
the Post and Telegraph Offices, entrance in the Storgade, to the
right), and facing us the Raadhus and Byret (court-house) , with
the inscription Ret og Sandhed ('justice and truth'). Ascending
hence in a straight direction, between the two small towers of the
Kirkegade, we soon reach the conspicuous BuAGERNiEs Church , a
handsome Gothic brick edifice by Nordgren, built after the fire of
1866, and consecrated in 1871. The choir is at the N. end, the
principal entrance in the S. tower. The interior is embellished
with an *Altar-piece by Tidemand (A. 1876), representing the Re-