12 Route 1. FROGNERS^TER. Environs
The Ekeberg, a wooded hill 400 ft. in height, to the S. of Oslo,
commands several beautiful views, but the best points are not
easily found. One of the finest is a rocky knoll, immediately to the
left of the Liabro road, which like the railway, skirts the fjord, and
1 Engl. M. to the S. of the Oslo tramway terminus. Near this point
is the steamboat-station Kongshavn, not far from which is an in¬
teresting 'giant's caldron' or cave, named Kong Kristian II.'s Hul.
Another good point is reached thus : beyond the tramway terminus
follow the main road for 5 min., passing the church on the right
and the pretty churchyard on the left, and after a few hundred
paces ascend the stony old road to the right. Where the old and
new roads unite at the top of the hill (20 min. from Oslo), we turn
to the right, pass the farm of Ekeberg, and follow a field-road to
the (7 min.) wood on the N.W. slope of the Ekeberg. A fine view
of the town and harbour is obtained from the N. end of the hill (a
little to the right, beyond the fence). We may now return by the
same route, or (pleasanter) follow the top of the hill towards theS.
to the farm Jomfrubraaten , then descend to the right, and return
by the above-mentioned Liabro road.
d. The Frognersater.
This excursion, if made on foot, takes 5-6 hrs. Carriage (3-3'/z hrs.)
with one horse (for 1-2 pers) 10 kr., with two horses (3-4 pers.) 14 kr.,
charges lower in the forenoon. The best plan for a single visitor is to
hire a Skyds or carriole from Iversen, Grubbegade 3 (see p. 1).
The route leads past the N. side of the Palace Grounds and tra¬
verses the suburb of Hagdehougen, beyond which we observe the
Vestre Akers Kirke on an eminence to the right. About 1 Engl. M.
from the Stor-Torv, we next observe the Gaustad Lunatic Asylum
(Sindssyge- Asyl) , erected by Schirmer and v. Hanno in 1854,
which accommodates upwards of 300 patients. We now ascend by a
narrow carriage-road, through wood, tothe*Frognersseter(1400ft.),
the rustic summer residence of Consul Heftye, 5 Engl. M. to the
N.W. of Christiania, with a balcony commanding a delightful view
of Christiania, its fjord, and environs. (Coffee, milk, etc., at the ad¬
joining cottage.)-—-While the horses are resting, travellers usually
ascend on foot to the (20 min.) Tryvandsheide (1800 ft.), a wooden
scaffolding on the summit of which commands a still more exten¬
sive view, including in clear weather some of the snowclad moun¬
tains of Thelemarken (the Gausta, p. 23) to the W., and of Hall¬
ingdal (Norefjeld, p. 79) to the N.W.
e. Other Excursions.
If time permits, pleasant drives may also be taken to the Ud-
sigttaarn on the Solhaug, on the Bogstad road (!/4 hr. from the
Stor-Torv, or on foot t/g hr.); to the Maridalsvand, a small lake
which supplies Christiania with water, 5 Engl. M. to the N., with
the ruined Marikirke at the N. end; to Gref'sens - Bad, a small