OSCARSHALL. 1. Route. 11
5-6, two-horse 8 kr., there and back), by small steamboat from the Piper¬
vik (PL B, 7; hourly from 1.30 to 9.30) to Fredriksborg (in 1/4 hr., and
5 min. walk more, always keeping to the right), or by railway (fares
40 or 20 0.) from the Vestbanegaard to Bygde (in 8 min., and 20 min. walk
more). — Application for admission is made to the gardener, Clausen,
who lives behind the chateau, to the left.
Leaving Christiania by the Drammensvei (PL A, 7), which is
bordered by numerous villas and gardens, we soon reach (8/4 Engl. M.
from the University) the Skarpsno steamboat - pier. Here we cross
by the ferry (in 6-8 min.; fare 10 ».) to the wooded peninsula of
Ladegaardse or Bygde, and then walk to the chateau in 7 min. more.
The chateau of ^Oscarshall, which is conspicuously situated on
an eminence 80 ft. above the sea-level, surrounded by a pleasant
park, was erected in the 'English Gothic' style by Nebelong for
King Oscar in 1847-52, and adorned with paintings by eminent
Norwegian artists. It was sold by Charles XV. to the government,
but is still set apart for the use of the reigning monarch. It deserves
a visit not only for the collection of pictures it contains, but also
for the beautiful view it commands (adm. see above; fee ^"l kr.).
The Dining Room, on the ground-lloor of the smaller separate build¬
ing, is adorned with six imposing Norwegian landscapes by J. Frich (d.
1858), the finest being the Ravnejuv, the Romsdalshorn, and the Norangs-
fjord, above which are ten celebrated works by A. Tidemand (d. 1876), re¬
presenting 'Norsk Bondeliv', or the different periods of Norwegian peasant
life. The Drawing Room, on the ground-floor of the principal building,
with its oak panelling, is embellished with statues of Harald Haarfagre,
Olaf Tryggvason, St. Olaf, and Sverre, in zinc, by Michelsen. A room on
the 1st floor contains nine basreliefs from Frithjofs Saga, in marble, by
Borch, and five fine landscapes by Gude (b. 1825).
Several rooms on the 2nd floor contain works by Swedish and Nor¬
wegian artists, wood-carvings, basket-work, etc. We now ascend by a
winding staircase of 28 steps to the flat roof of the chateau, beyond which
43 steps more lead us to the summit of the tower, where we enjoy a
charming "View of Christiania, its fjord, and environs.
Refreshments at the Saterhytte on the Dronningbjerg, between
Oscarshall and the Bygde. A monument has been erected here to
Count Wedel-Jarlsberg, an ardent advocate of the union with Swe¬
den in 1814.
About 1 Engl. M. to the S. of Akershus lies the Hoved«, an
island now belonging to the fortress (admission, see p. 5 ; boat there
and back 1-1V2 ^Oi on vfhich are situated the ruins of a Cistercian
Monastery, founded by monks from Lincoln in 1147. In 1532,
after the Reformed faith had been embraced by Denmark, Mogens
Gyldenstjerne , the Danish commandant of Akershus, ordered the
monastery to be plundered and destroyed. In 1846-47 the ruins
were cleared by the Norwegian Antiquarian Society.
c. The Ekeberg.
This excursion may be made by Tramway from the Stortorv to Oslo
(comp. PL C, D, E, 6, 5), by Steamer from the Jernbanebrygge (PL D,
E, 7) to Kongshavn or Ormsund, or by Railway from the principal sta¬
tion to Boekkelaget (p. 273). — Comp. the marginal map on the Plan of