8 Route 1. CHRISTIANIA. National Gallery.
Laplander's tent, reindeer, and pulk. Another staircase now ascends to
a series of small rooms containing articles of dress, implements, utensils,
armour, weapons, manufactures, etc., from other parts of the world.
A shed behind the central part of the university contains a Viking
Ship, excavated at Sandefjord (p. 32) in 1880 and supposed to date from
the 9th century. It is 76 ft. long and 14-16 ft. broad. Adm. on Mon. and
Frid., 12-2 (at other times for a fee).
Collections op Models (central building; Mon., 12-1), uninteresting.
The Anatomical, Pathological, and Pharmacological Museums and the
collections of Physical, Surgical, and Obstetrical Instruments (all in the
central building) are shown on application to the medical authorities.
Connected with the University —
Collection of Chemical Preparations (in the adjacent Laboratory,
in the Fredriks-Gade; Mon., 12-1).
Metallurgic Laboratory (in the Laboratory just mentioned; daily, 9-2).
Observatory (PL A, 8), Drammens-Vei, about lfa Engl. M. to the W.
of the University (shown on application).
Botanic Garden (PL E, F, 4), with its library, y4 Engl. M. to the N.E.
of the Stortorv, and reached by the Stor-Gade and the Throndhjems-Vei.
On days when the above collections are closed, visitors may usually
obtain access to them by applying to one of the professors.
To the N. of the University, in the Universitetsgade, is the
handsome *Museum of Art (PI. 21), built in the Italian Renais¬
sance style by Adolf Schirmer and presented to the town by the
Kristiania Sparebank, or Savings Bank. The wings are not yet
completed. In the centre is a large flight of steps. Admission on
Tues. and Thurs. 1-3, Sun. 12-2, free; at other times on application
to the 'Vagtmester', who lives at the back of the building (fee
The Ground Floor contains the *Sculpture Gallery (Sculptur-
Museet; Historical and Descriptive Catalogue, by Prof. Dietrich-
son, 1 kr.).
The Vestibule and the three adjoining Rooms contain the Casts of
Ancient Sculptures, and the Staircase and Hall the Casts of Renaissance
and Modern Sculptures, the whole forming the most complete collection
of the kind in Scandinavia (also presented by the Sparebank, see above).
— The other rooms contain Original Works by Norwegian Masters, the
finest of which are: 328, 329. Fladager, Angel with font (model and
sketch); Borch, 330. Jephthah's Daughter, 331. The first lesson, 331a.
The Sulamite Maiden, 331b. David, 332. Bust of Rector Vibe, one of
the founders of the collection; 333. Skeibrok, Rognar Lodbrok among
A wide double staircase ascends to the Upper Floor, which
contains the '"National Gallery, a collection of paintings founded in
1387 and belonging to government. It contains about 300 ancient
and modern works, chiefly by Norwegian masters but also including
several good specimens of the Dutch school. The gallery was for¬
merly situated in the Apothekergade.
We first enter the —
East Room. Danish School. 198. Jens Juel, Bernt Anker, a Norwegian
patriot of the 18th cent.; 201. C. W. Eckersberg, Alms-giving at the con¬
vent; 202. N. Simonsen, Caravan overtaken by a simoom; 204, 205, Grbn-
land, Flowers and fruit; 206. Serensen, 0resund, near Kronborg. — Swe¬
dish School. 210. Kjbrboc, Fox; Amalie Lindegren, 214. The widow and
her child, 215. Grandfather's lesson; 216. Fagerlin, Discomforts of bache¬
lor life; 218. E. Bergh, Birch wood. — We now turn to the right and
enter the —