University. CHRISTIANIA. 1. Route. 7
islands beyond it, the Ekeberg (p. 12) to the left, Oscarshall
(p. 11) to the right, and Frognersseter on the hill to the N.W.
(see p. 12). The view is rather more extensive from the building
at the N. end of the reservoir. The attendant, for whom the visitor
rings, names the chief points, and lends a telescope (fee 40 e. or
upwards). We now return by the same route, or by the St. Olafs-
Plads, to the W. of the church of that name, to the Karl-Johans-
Gade, where we next visit the —
University (PI. B, 6), a handsome edifice in the classical style,
with two wings at right angles to it. The establishment was found¬
ed by Frederick VI. in 1811 , but as the various lecture-rooms
were scattered throughout the town, the present building was
erected in 1841-53 by Grosch, whose design was partly suggested
by Schinkel of Berlin. There are five faculties with a staff of 53
professors, who lecture gratis to upwards of 1000 students. In
front of the building extends that part of the Eidsvolds-Plads known
as Studenterlunden (Cafe" in summer; music, see p. 2), embellish¬
ed with a Statue of Henrik Wergeland (p. 6), by Bergslien. The
E. wing, containing the Festsal (English service, p. 3), is known
as the Domus Academica, and the W. wing is occupied by the
Library, consisting of 250,000 vols., and reading-room (open on
the first five days of the week, 12-2).
The University possesses several Collections of considerable value,
which may be visited if time permits.
Collection of Northern Antiquities (in the E. wing, Mon. and
Frid. 12-2). Ascending the staircase, we turn to the left and follow a
passage leading to the Cabinet of Coins (see below) and the Antiquities.
The latter are arranged in seven rooms. Room I. (that farthest to the
right): relics of the flint and bronze ages. Rooms II., III., and IV. are
devoted to the earlier and later parts of the iron period. Room V. con¬
tains mediseval relics (A.D. 1000-1500), the chief of which have their
names and dates attached. Among them are three "Church-portals carved
in wood, dating from the 12th-13th centuries. Room VI. contains several
other interesting door-posts and portals of the same period. Room VII.
is occupied with curiosities of later date than 1500, including tankards
in wood and metal, bridal crowns, trinkets, fire-arms, and tools. — The —
Cabinet of Coins (E. wing, adjoining the Antiquities; Mon. and
Frid., 1-2) is a valuable collection, numbering 45,000 specimens. — The —
Zoological Museum (central building, Sun., Mon., Frid., 12-2) is
reached by ascending the staircase, turning to the left, and entering the
last door on the left. In the 1st (Reading) Room, birds, etc.; in the 2nd
R. is a well-arranged zoological collection; in the 3rd R., fish and rep¬
tiles. — We now pass a staircase on the left descending to the Zootomic
Museum (see below), and enter the 4th and 5th Rooms, which contain an
extensive and valuable collection of birds. — The staircase above men¬
tioned descends to the —
Zootomic Museum (central building; Mon. and Frid., 12-2), a care¬
fully arranged collection of skeletons and anatomical preparations. The
adjoining Anthropological Collection is generally closed.
The Botanical Museum (central building; passage to the right at the
top of the staircase; Mon.. 12-2) and the adjacent Mineral Cabinet (Frid.,
12-1) will interest scientific travellers only.
Ethnographical Museum (central building, reached by a staircase in
the N.W. corner, from the garden at the hack; Mon. and Frid., 1-2).
1st Room: Scandinavian costumes, furniture, and implements. 2nd R.: