292 Route 45. UTRECHT.
The St. Janskerk (PL 4; C, 2), to the N. of the cathedral, in
the Romanesque style, with a late-Gothic choir of 1539, contains
several monuments of little merit.
The Paushuizen (pope's house) on the Nieuwe Gracht, recalls
by its name Pope Adrian VI., who built it in 1517. It now con¬
tains several public offices (PL 15), including the telegraph-office.
On the gable is a fine old statue of the Saviour.
The 'Archiepiscopal Museum (Aartsbisschoppelijk Museum;
PL D, 3), opened in 1872, affords an admirable illustration of
all the branches of sacred art practised in the Netherlands. Ad¬
mission daily, except Sundays and holidays, 10-5; 30 c.
The collection is arranged in a number of small rooms. Pictures
chiefly by unknown Dutch or Flemish masters of the 15-17th cent, (in
Room 2. an Adoration of the Magi, ascribed to Roger van der Weyden);
ivory carvings of the ll-16th cent.; twelve small copper plates in re¬
pousse work, representing scenes from the Passion (in the style of Albert
Diirer); wood-carvings of the 14th and 15th cent.; models of churches;
monstrances, chalices, and patens, 14th and 15th cent.; Gospels of the 8th
and 11th cent.; missals with miniatures; beautifully worked ecclesiasti¬
cal vestments, sculptures in wood and stone (Adoration of the Shepherds,
16th cent.). — The upper story contains some beautiful French, Dutch, and
Venetian lace; also sculptures, and repousse work of the 16-18th centuries.
The Roman Catholic Church of St. Catherine, in the adjoining
Katherinsteeg (PL C, D, 4), a late-Gothic building of 1524, has
lately been restored from plans by Van Brink. The interior has
been decorated with polychrome ornamentation, and contains a
screen by Mengelberg of Utrecht.
The Museum Kunstliefde, a small picture-gallery in the upper
floor of the building of Arts and Sciences (PL 14; B, 3), contains
a number of works by the early Utrecht masters, the chief of whom
was Jan van Scorel, Schoorl, or Schooreel (1495-1562), one of the
first Dutch painters who visited Italy. Admission on Mon., Wed.,
Frid. 1-4, 25 c. ; Sun. and holidays 12-4, free; catalogue 10 c.
Principal pictures: *63-67. Jan van Schooreel, Portraits (p. xlv) of
38 citizens and ecclesiastics of Utrecht who made a pilgrimage together
to Jerusalem (full of individuality); 68. Schooreel, Virgin and Child, altar-
piece from the chapel of the Holy Cross Hospital; Joachim Wtewaal,
Vegetable-seller; 53. Paul Moreelse (pupil of Mierevelt, p. 215), Portrait
of a woman; 31. Hendrik Goltzius, Ecce Homo; 61,bis. Roeland Savery,
Flowers; 22. J. C. Droogsloot, View of the goose-market and town-hall
of Utrecht at the beginning of the 17th cent.; 3. Abr. Bloemaert, Adora¬
tion of the Magi; 50. 67. A. 67. F. Moilinger, Landscape; Unknown Artist,
Portrait of a gentleman of the 16th cent.; J. van Haensbergen, Portrait
of a child; "Thos. de Keyser, Portrait of a woman with two children;
6?. Honthorst, Death of Seneca, St. Peter; Barth. van der Heist, Holy
Family, one of the few pictures of this artist other than portraits; Fer.
Bol, Lady in a hunting-dress; Wappers, Burgomaster van der Werff at the
siege of Leyden (p. 238).
The Stadhuis (PL 24; C, 2), built in 1830, also contains a
small collection of pictures and other objects of art (Museum van
Oudheden), which is arranged on the upper floor, and is open daily,
except Sundays and holidays, from 10 to 4; admission 10 c,
Wed. free. Catalogue 1 fl. 25 c.