to Utrecht. BOMMEL. 44. Route. WJ
Holland), Waalre, (69 M.) Eindhoven (p. 302, junction of the
Venlo line), Best, (81 M.) Boxtel (p. 302), and Vught.
891/-2 M. 'S Hertogenbosch, or 'S Bosch, French Bois-le-Due
(Hdtel du Lion d'Or; Eenhom; Maison Verte), on the Dommel,
the Aa, and the Zuid-Willems-Canal, the capital of the province
of N. Brabant, and strongly fortified down to 1876, with 25,250
inhab., derives its name from Duke Godfrey of Brabant, who con¬
ferred municipal privileges on the town in 1184. —Omnibus from
the station to the town 25 c.
The late-Gothic Cathedral of St. John (St. Jans-Kerk), built in
1458-98, with an old tower of the 11th cent., and, to the S. of the
latter, a chapel of the 13th cent., is one of the three most important
mediaeval churches in Holland , the other two being the Cathedral
of Utrecht and the Church of St. Nicholas atKampen, both of which
it surpasses in richness of ornamentation. It has a lofty nave with
double aisles, and a handsome choir flanked with chapels. The
interior contains modern stained glass, a brazen candelabrum of the
15th cent., a brazen font, cast in 1492, carved choir-stalls in the
Renaissance style, a pulpit of 1560, and a large organ. The build¬
ing is now being restored. ■— The Church of St. Catherine contains
a number of pictures from the suppressed Abbey of Tongerloo.
The Gemeentelijk Museum, in the upper floor of the Raadhuis, is
open every forenoon, gratis. It contains ancient plans of the town
and neighbourhood, the silver seals of the chief magistrates from
1213 to 1795, valuables, coins, a few paintings, instruments of
torture, etc. — The Museum of the Provinciaal Genootschap van
Kunst en Wetenschappen in Noordbrabant (open on week-days, 1-3)
contains Roman, German, Franconian, and later antiquities, chiefly
from N. Brabant, manuscripts, pictures, drawings, maps, and coins.
About 10 M. from Bois-le-Duc (2 hrs.' drive) is the magnificent cha¬
teau of Heeswijk, the property of Baron van Bogaert, containing an exten¬
sive collection of state-weapons and other interesting mediaeval and Re¬
naissance objects. Strangers admitted on sending in their cards. Fee 1 fl.
The train crosses the Maas near (93 M.) Hedel, and reaches —
95 M. Eommel, or Zaltbommel (*Hdtel Gottschalk), formerly a
strongly fortified place, which was unsuccessfully besieged by the
Spaniards in 1599. In 1672 it was taken by Turenne after a gal¬
lant defence by the small garrison. The church possesses one of
the handsomest and loftiest towers in the country (15th cent.), and
contains some ancient mural paintings. The House ofMaartenvan
Rossum (p. 287) is interesting from an architectural point of view.
The ebb and flow of the tide affect the river as far as this point.
The train crosses the broad Waal. Stations Waardenburg, Geld-
ermalsen (omn. four times daily to Tiel, p. 300), beyond which the
Linge is crossed. Near Cuilenborg (p. 298) the Lek, or Lower Rhine,
is traversed by a bridge of a single arch, 164 yds. in span (the
largest in Europe), and near Utrecht the Kromme Rijn is crossed.
119 M. Utrecht, see below.
Baedeker's Belgium and Holland. 6th Edit. 19