286 Route 43. ARNHEM. From Amsterdam
munity resides in a pile of contiguous buildings, possessing many
of their goods in common, and strictly observing the precepts of
their sect. They somewhat resemble the Quakers of England, and
are remarkable for the purity and simplicity of their lives. Married
women, widows, and young girls are distinguished by a difference of
costume. The environs are carefully cultivated. Gardens, orchards,
plantations, corn-fields, pastures, and country-houses are passed in
rapid succession. During the harvest the corn is stacked in a pecu¬
liar manner, and protected by roofs.
14 M. Maarsbergen. 21 M. Veenendaal is noted for its honey.
29 M. Ede is the station for Wageningen (p. 297), which lies ilfe M.
to the S. Near (31 M.) Wolfhezen is an extensive plain stretching to
the Zuiderzee, which has been frequently used as a military exer-
cising-ground by Dutch and French armies. One of the latter, by
command of Marshal Marmont in 1804, threw up a lofty mound
on the heights between Ede and Veenendaal, to commemorate the
coronation of Napoleon I. 33 M. Oosterbeek. As Arnhem is ap¬
proached the train commands several picturesque glimpses of the
Rhine and the Betuwe (p. 297) on the right, and of Sonsbeek
(p. 287) on the left. |~- Q,
35 M. Arnhem. — *Hotel de Z(fc (day'Soleil), near the bridge-of-
boats, outside the town on the N.W. side, and the nearest to the station
and the pier of the Netherlands Steamboat Co., R. l'/2 A-, L- 30, A. 25,
B. 70 c.; Hotel des Pats-Bas , in the Groote Markt, with its back to¬
wards the Rhine, and not far from the pier of the Cologne and Diisseldorf
Steamboat Co.; "Zwtnshoofd ('Boar's Head', a common sign of Dutch
inns), in the town; Hotel Bast, in the town, near the Rhine; Bellevue,
to the W. of the town, with a fine view. !De Paauw ('Peacock'), near
the station, a small second-class inn. — For a long stay: Hotel Garni
Kernheim, on the road to Velp (p. 288).
Cab within the town, with 561bs. of luggage, 75 c.; to Klarenbeek and
Roozendaal, via, the Steenen Tafel, returning by Bronbeek and Velp (2'/4-
2'/2 hrs.), about 3 fl.
Arnhem, the Roman Arenacum, with 41,300 inhab. (l/% Rom.
Cath.), formerly the residence of the Dukes of Guelders, is still
the capital of the Dutch province of that name , whose inhabitants
are described by an old proverb as 'Hoog van moed, klein van goed,
een zwaard in de hand, is 't wapen van Gelderland' ('Great in cou¬
rage , poor in goods, sword in hand, such is the motto of Guelder-
land'). The town»lies on the S. slopes of the Veluwe range of hills
(p. 297), and was re-fortified by Gen. Coehoorn at the beginning
of the 18th cent., after it had been taken by the French in 1672.
The town, which was garrisoned by French troops, was taken on
13th Nov., 1813, by Billow's corps of the Prussian army, the same
which distinguished itself at the Battle of Waterloo.
Arnhem, which is one of the most attractive - looking towns in
Holland, is a favourite residence of Dutch 'nabobs' from the East
Indies. The old fortifications have been converted into promenades,
and handsome new buildings are springing up on all sides.
Leaving the station and bearing to the left, we pass through