to Arnhem. WOERDEN. 43. Route 285
the lame man; above, Philip baptising the Ethiopian eunuch. — The
coloured drawing and the original cartoons of the brothers Crabeth are
preserved in the sacristy. — The Municipal Library, a considerable col¬
lection, is kept in an adjoining room.
The recently established Town Museum, in the market-place,
chiefly contains antiquities connected with the town, and a few
corporation-pictures and portraits by Wouier Crabeth (see above),
Com. Keiel (b. at Gouda in 1578), and others. The chief objects of
interest are a corporation-piece by Ferd. Bol, and a fine enamelled
and gilded chalice and paten, presented to the 'shooters' guild' of
Gouda by the Countess Jacqueline of Bavaria in 1425.
A bronze statue of Cornells de Houtman, the founder of the
Dutch E. Indian trade (end of the 16th cent.), and another of his
brother Frederik, both natives of Gouda, were erected here in
1880, from models by Stracke of Amsterdam.
The staple commodities of Gouda are bricks and clay-pipes.
The material for the former is obtained from the muddy bed of the
Yssel, the deposits of which are admirably adapted for the purpose.
The cheese named after this town and manufactured in the environs
is of inferior quality.
From Gouda to the Hague, H'/uM., branch-line of the Rhijn-Spoorweg
in '/2-3A nr- (fares 1 fl. 45, 1 fl. 15, 70 c). Stations Zevenhuizen- Moer-
kapelle, Zoetermeer - Zegwaard, Voorburg, and the Hague (p. 217). Tram¬
way to Scheveningen in connection with the trains, see p. 235.
20 M. Oudewater, also on the Yssel, was the birthplace of
the theologian Arminius, after whom the 'Remonstrants' (p. 304)
were called Arminians. A picture in the Stadhuis by Dirk Stoop
commemorates the brutal excesses committed here by the Spa¬
niards in 1575.
24M. Woerden, with 4000 inhab., situated on the 'Old Rhine',
formerly a fortress, was captured and cruelly treated by the army
of Louis XIV. under Marshal Luxembourg in 1672 (an event de¬
scribed by Voltaire). In 1813 it was occupied by the Dutch, but
taken by the French under General Molitor and again plundered.
The fortifications have now been demolished, and their site converted
into public promenades. — From Woerden to Leyden, see p. 216.
Beyond (25r/2 M.) Harmelen the canals become rarer, and the
country more undulating and agricultural. The^ Amsterdam line
diverges here, and unites with the direct line from Utrecht to Am¬
sterdam at stat. Breukelen (p. 284).
38 M. Utrecht, see R. 45.
From Utrecht to Arnhem. The train now crosses the canal
(Vaartsche Rhijn) which connects Utrecht with the Lek (as the prin¬
cipal branch of the Rhine is called).
71//2 M. Zeist (ne&r which is Driebergen, p. 276), a picturesque
and thriving village, but not visible from the railway (tramway to
Utrecht, see p. 290). It is the seat of a Moravian settlement (about
260 members), with which a good school is connected. The com-