to the Helder. ALKMAAR. 42. Route. 281
tions: Westzaan, Buitenhuizen (Assendelft), Velsen. — From the railway-
station of Velsen (see above) a walk of 35 min. on the sandy road by the
side of the canal conducts us to the locks, and the sea-gates are about 1 M.
farther on. The piers are also open to visitors.
7 M. Beverwijk, with country-houses and pleasure-grounds. —
About li/2 M- to the W. (omn. 35 c.) lies Wijk aan Zee (Bath¬
house, R. 7 fl. per week, 'pens.' 2y2 fl., children iy2 fl. per day,
bath 35 c, to subscribers 25 c), a favourite Dutch watering-place.
11 M. Uitgeest, see above.
The first stations beyond Uitgeest are (17 M. from Amsterdam)
Heilo and (21 M.) Castricum.
24 M. Alkmaar (De Burg ; Toelast), a town of 12,800 inhab.,
deriving its name (which signifies 'all sea') from the lake or morass
which formerly surrounded it, is renowned in the history of the
Dutch struggle for independence for its stout and successful resis¬
tance to the besieging Spaniards in 1573.
The railway - station lies about t/j M. from the town , the road
to which leads through the pleasant public gardens.
The Church of St. Lawrence , a fine Gothic edifice, with lofty
vaulting of wood, deserves a visit. In the S. aisle, near the organ,
is a painting in seven sections, of 1504, representing the Seven
Works of Mercy. Carved stalls in the Renaissance style. The
choir contains the ancient tomb of Florens V., Count of Holland
(d. 1296). The tower of the church fell in the 15th cent, and
has never been rebuilt. A view of the church and tower is to be
seen on the wall of the choir. The sacristan lives in the small
square, planted with trees, to the S. of the church.
There are two modern Roman Catholic Churches at Alkmaar,
one in the Gothic, the otheT in the Romanesque style.
In the Langestraat, the chief street of the town, rises the
Stadhuis with its tower, a Gothic structure dating from 1507. It
contains a lately established museum consisting of Alkmaar anti¬
quities, of a few corporation and other paintings (including spe¬
cimens of Honthorst, and of Cesar v. Everdingen, who, with his
brother Allart, the famous landscape-painter, was of an Alkmaar
family), and of other objects of interest. There is also a library.
Admission, Mondays and Fridays 1-3 p. m., 25 c.
Alkmaar carries on a very extensive cheese-trade. The weekly
market is frequented by the peasantry of the whole province
of N. Holland, who sell their cheese here to the dealers. Up¬
wards of 5000 tons of cheese are annually weighed in the Town
Weighing House, being about one-half of the produce of the province.
This building with its handsome tower was erected in 1582. On
market-days (Fridays) the whole space in front of the Weighing
House is covered by huge piles of red and yellow cheeses, while
the streets are full of the gaily painted waggons of the neighbour¬