272 Route 40. AMSTERDAM. Zoolog. Garden.
languages, etc., as well as practical matters connected with the
profession, are carefully taught. A fully-rigged frigate has been set
up for practical instruction in the court, over the walls of which the
masts are visible. Admission on Mon., Tues., Thurs., Frid., and
Sat., except during the month of August; no fee. — There is a
tramway-station in front of the institution.
On the other side of the basin, to the left, stands a large grey
building, bearing the name 'Marine', and belonging to the Lands
Werf (see below). In a straight direction is the Sailors' Home (see
below), while to the right, beyond the bridge over the beginning
of the Heerengracht, is the entrance to the Entrepot.
The Entrepot (Rijks Entrepot; PL 10; G, 3), constructed in
1828, and measuring 765 yds. length by 15 in breadth, forms the
custom - house harbour and bonded warehouses of Amsterdam.
Visitors apply at the office at the entrance, where they are provided
with a guide (50 c). The canal, which is flanked with the extensive
magazines, is 23 ft. in depth, admitting vessels of large tonnage.
The names of different countries and cities, such as America, Africa,
Cuba, Archangel, St. Petersburg, Smyrna, Hamburg, London, etc., are
inscribed over the entrances to the magazines on the S. side, whilst
those on the N. are destined exclusively for the reception of the products
of the Dutch E. Indian possessions. Vast quantities of wine, corn, sugar,
coffee, rice, and indigo are stored in these warehouses, and the sales of
coffee, indigo, etc. which take place several times annually attract
purchasers from every part of Europe.
The handsome Zeemanshuis (PL 77; G, 3), or Sailors' Home,
a brick building with two projecting wings, built in 1856, is open
to visitors daily, 10-1 o'clock, except Sundays. In the hall is a
statue of De Ruyter.
Farther on, to the left, beyond the broad new bridge, is the
Royal Dockyard ('s Lands Werf; PL G, 2, 1), the most extensive
in Holland, occupying the W. half of the island of Kattenburg.
Everything necessary for the equipment of vessels of war is manu¬
factured here. Attached to the dock are large naval store-houses.
Entrance by the gate in the Groote Kattenburgerstraat. Admission,
see p. 252. — Beyond it are extensive private wharves.
Adjoining the Entrepot is the Plantage ('plantation'),
quarter of the town between the Entrepot and the Muider Gracht,
which was once entirely covered with pleasure-grounds. In the
Park (PL G, 3) here, which belongs to a private society, and is a
remnant of the former pleasure-grounds, concerts are frequently
given in summer at 8 p.m. (admission i fl.). — The iron gate
opposite forms the entrance to the Botanic Garden (PL 13 ; G, 4;
admission, see p. 252), commonly known as the 'Hortus', and inter¬
esting on account of its numerous species of palms and its Victoria
Regia house, which attracts numerous visitors on summer evenings,
when that plant is in flower.
The Zoological Garden (PL 51; H, 3; admission, see p. 252),