270 Route 40. AMSTERDAM. Oude Kerk.
and may be seen on application to the door-keeper, Singel 421, when the
rooms are not occupied by classes.
A new and handsome quarter of the city, with the Frederiks-
plein as its central point, the erection of which was chiefly
promoted by the late Dr. Sarphati (d. 1866), has recently sprung
up on the S. side of Amsterdam, near the Utrecht Gate. Here is
situated the Industrial Palace (Paleis voor Volksvlijt • PL 57; G, 6),
a spacious edifice, chiefly of iron and glass, erected between 1855
antl 1864 under the supervision of the architect C. Outshoorn.
Length 138 yds., breadth 88 yds., elliptical dome 187 ft. high. A
'Victoria' in metal, 23 ft. in height, by Jacquet of Brussels, sur¬
mounts the building. This 'crystal palace' has cost about iy2
million fl. The large dome-covered hall, lighted in the evening
with 8000 gas-burners, is used for concerts, operas, etc. (p. 251)
and can accommodate an audience of 12,000 persons. It contains an
organ. At the back of the building is a pleasant garden.
Crossing the Hooge Siuis (PL G, 5; literally 'high sluice'),
which affords a fine view, we reach the Rhenish railway-station.
— Zoological Garden, see p. 272.
On the Buitensingel, the canal which encircles the whole of
the inner city, are situated numerous sugar-works, breweries, and
On the other side of the Singel, on the Stadhouderskade (PL
F, G, 7), the Academy of Arts was established in 1875 (opposite the
gas-works, PL G, 6, 7). — In the vicinity, but more in the direc¬
tion of the Vondelspark (p. 275), the new Museum (p. 257) is
being erected, from designs by Cuyper.
In the Nieuwe Markt (PL E, 3), at the N. end of the Klo¬
veniersburgwal , the eye is struck by a mediaeval building called
the St. Anthonieswaag (PI. 2), with its five round towers, formerly
(1488-1585) a gate of the city, and afterwards a Weighing House.
The interior was long occupied by various guilds, including that of
the surgeons, in whose rooms the above-mentioned anatomical paint¬
ings, including that by Rembrandt, hung down to 1828. It is now
used as a guard-room by the fire-brigade, a well-organised institu¬
tion. Beyond this building lies the Fish Market (PI. 78), which
presents a very busy scene during the morning hours.
The Oude Kerk (PL 26 ; E, 3), a little to the W., in the Oude-
kerksplein, a Gothic edifice, erected about the year 1300, measures
98 yds. in length by 71 in breath. (Custodian on the E. side,
No. 76 ; 25 c.)
The Interior is supported by 42 slender round pillars, and covered
with wooden barrel-vaulting. The stained glass in the windows of the
lofty nave, dating from 1555, represents scenes from the history of the
Virgin (Death, Adoration of the Magi, Visitation, and Annunciation), by
Digman. To the right by the entrance is a window containing the armorial
bearings of all the burgomasters of the city from 1578 to 1767; in the
second window the recognition of the Netherlands by Philip IV. (p. xxxii).