Antiquarian Society. AMSTERDAM. 40. Route. 269
"Rembrandt, The physician Ephraim Bonus, a Portuguese Jew, painted
in 1647 (8 in. in height).
Upper Floor (small room lighted from the roof). To the right of
the door: P. de Hooch, Interior; N. Maes, The listener; Van der Heist,
The painter and his wife; Cuyp, Two sea-pieces; Hobbema, Landscape;
Sal. Koninck, Savant working by candle-light; A. van de Velde, Brown
cow; A. van Ostade, Fishwoman; G. Dow, Dentist by candle-light; Jan
van der Meer van Delft, Street in Delft, and Peasant woman with a milk-
pail; A. van Ostade, Interior of a peasant's house; Terburg, Music-lesson;
Jan Steen, Wedding-feast; G. van den Eeckhout, The woman taken in adul¬
tery; F. Hals, Man playing the guitar; Ochterveldt, Oyster-party.
Valuable collections of paintings are also possessed by M. Ja¬
cob de Vos, Heerengracht 130 (drawings by Rembrandt), and Baron
Hooft van Woudenberg, Heerengracht 493, 'over de Spiegelstraat'
(chiefly modern pictures), both accessible to connoisseurs (ad¬
mission to the latter through M. van Pappelendam, p. 250).
The Felix Meritis (PL 11; D, 5), the property of a scientific
society of that name, which has existed since 1777 (Keizersgracht
324, near the Beerenstraat), contains a few pictures (including a
large and fine work by N. Maes, Old woman saying grace), casts,
physical and mathematical instruments, a library, a reading-room,
an observatory, and a handsome concert-room. Fee 25-50 c.
The Arti et Amicitiae society of painters in the Rokin (PL 3;
E, 5), possesses a Historical Gallery of 200 pictures and scenes
from the history of the Netherlands, comprising many works of
great merit. Other exhibitions of art also take place here, sometimes
affording an admirable opportunity of inspecting valuable old paint¬
ings and other works of art lent by private individuals. Admission
25-50 c. — In the vicinity is the Lees-Museum (Reading Room),
with newspapers. Introduction by a member necessary.
The Antiquarian Society ('Het Koninklijk Oudheidkundig Ge-
nootschap'; PL 54, D, 4), Spuistraat 135, not far from the Dam,
contains a good, though not very extensive collection of industrial
products, curiosities, and other objects of past centuries. The fine
carved furniture, the earthenware and glass, the silver cups and
drinking-horns, the ancient weapons , and the like, are of great
interest, and aid us in realising the appearance of the interior of
the old Dutch dwellings. The museum is open daily from 10 to
4; on Sundays 10, other days 25 c.; catalogue 25 c.
The municipal University, or Athenaeum Illustre (PL 4; D,
E, 5), possesses a well-appointed school of natural science, in¬
cluding chemical and physiological laboratories. There are about 50
professors and 400 students. The Botanic Garden (p. 272) belongs
to this instituton.
The building also contains 15 pictures representing lessons in anatomy,
with portraits of the principal professors of medicine at Amsterdam in the
17th and 18th centuries and of the members of the guild of surgeons.
Rembrandt's School of Anatomy (p. 223) formed one of this series down
to 1828. The oldest are those by Aert Pielersen (1603), Thomas de Keyser
(1619), and Nic. Elias (1625); next to these was the Rembrandt, the others
being more modern. The pictures are hung in different lecture-rooms,