Waterworks. CAIRO. 3. Route. 279
We leave the Bab en-Nasr and turn to the, right, crossing a
Mohammedan burial-ground, on the left side of which, on a small
(From the side next the town.)
eminence not far from the road, is interred J. L. Burckhardt
(d. 1817), the distinguished Oriental traveller, whose works are
still of high authority.
Before leaving the city-wall to the right, we observe on the
left two towers with iron basins, being the, reservoirs of the Water¬
works supplying the palace of the Khedive in the 'Abbasiyeh and
the Citadel. In front of these, but less visible, arc the five large
filters for purifying the town supply.
The water is pumped into these filters by engines of 150-horse power,
situated in the Isma'iliya quarter, on the canal of that name. A smaller
pump adjoining the filters is used for providing the Citadel with water. The
first temporary pumping machinery, erected in 1865-66, at Kasr el-'Ain,
was employed in filling the basins in the desert, and also in'supplying a
small part of the city. The distribution of water is now effected by a
double system of pipes, through one set of which the filtered water is
forced to a height of about 80 ft,., while the other brings unfiltered water
from the neighliourhood of Bulak for the purpose of watering the streets
and the gardens, conducting it to a height of about 30 ft. only. The
engines in the Isma'iliya quarter are capable of supplying the town
with 30,000 cubic metres, or about 111.000 cubic feet, of water per day.
The government, pays 46 centimes for each cubic metre of filtered water
consumed, and 25 centimes for the same quantity of unfiltered water.
The lowest, rate payable by small families for filtered water is 8 fr. per
month. The whole length of the pipes for filtered water, the largest
of which are 2 ft. in diameter, amounts to 19 miles, and that of the pipes
for unfiltered water to about 6 miles. The cost of the works amounted
to 5 million francs.
The very dusty road next leads to the unimportant tomb of
Shekh Galal, a little beyond which we reach the so-called —
**Tombs of the Khalifs,
which extend along the E. side of the city, and which, beyond the
Citadel, are known as Tombs of the Mamelukes v-
•r The name 'Tombs of the Khalifs' is historically a misnomer.
Both the Bahrite (1258- 13S2) and the Circassian Blameluke sultans