92 Route 12. BRUSSELS. Hotel de Ville.
situated the Gothic Notre Dame de la Chapelle (PL 23; C, 4),
begun in 1216 on the site of an earlier chapel; the choir and transept
date from the middle of the 13th cent., and the nave and W. towers
were completed in 1483.
The Interior (concierge, Rue des Ursulines 24) is worthy of a visit
on account of the numerous frescoes (Chapelle de la Sainte Croix, to the
right of the choir) and oil-paintings (14 Stations of the Cross) by Van
Eycken (d. 1853). The first three pillars of the chapels in the S. Aisle
bear the remains of frescoes of the 15th cent, (saints). — The stained-
glass in the 1st and 2nd chapels, with scenes from the life of the Virgin,
is by J. ran der Poorlen (1867). The 3rd chapel contains the tomb of the
painter Jan Brueghel ('Velvet Brueghel'), with a picture by him (Christ
giving the keys to Peter). In the 4th Chapel, De Crayer, Christ appearing
to Mary Magdalene. — In the N. chapel of the choir: Landscapes by J.
d'Arlhois (d. 1665) and Achtschelling (d. 1731). Near the altar: De Crayer,
S. Carlo Borromeo administering the Holy Communion to the plague-
stricken ; Van Thulden, Intercession for souls in Purgatory. Monument of
the Spinola family by Plumiers (d. 1721). On a pillar a monument, with
bust, to Duke Ch. Alex, de Cray (d. 1624). A tablet of black marble at the
back of the pillar, put up by Counts Merode and Beaufort in 1834, bears
a long Latin inscription to the memory of Francis Anneessens, a citizen
of Brussels, and a magistrate of the Quarter of St. Nicholas, who was
executed in the Grand Marche in 1719 for presuming to defend the pri¬
vileges of the city and guilds against the encroachments of the Austrian
governor (the Marquis de Pric). — The Choir has recently been decorated
with fine polychrome paintings by Charle-Albert. The somewhat incon¬
gruous high-altar was executed from designs by Rubens. — The carving
on the pulpit, by Plumiers, represents Elijah in the wilderness, and is
simpler and in better taste than that of the pulpit in the cathedral.
The Rue Haute ends at the Porte de Hal (p. 100).
In the centre of the lower part of the town lies the **Grande
Place, or market-place (PL D,3), 120 yds. long and 74yds. wide,
in which rise the Hotel de Ville and several old guild-houses.
It is one of the finest mediaeval squares in existence, presenting
a marked contrast to the otherwise modern character of the city,
and occupies an important place in the annals of Belgium. In
the spring of 1568 twenty-five nobles of the Netherlands were be¬
headed here by order of the Duke of Alva , the most distinguished
victims being Lamoral, Count Egmont, and Philip de Montmorency,
Count Hoorn (p. 89).
The * Hotel de Ville (PL D, 3) is by far the most interesting
edifice in Brussels, and one of the noblest and most beautiful build¬
ings of the kind in Belgium. It is of irregular quadrangular form,
66 yds. in length and 55 yds. in depth, and encloses a court. The
principal facade towards the market-place is in the Gothic style,
the E. half having been begun in 1402, the W. in 1443. The
graceful tower, 370 ft. in height, which, however, for some unex¬
plained reason does not rise from the centre of the building, was
completed in 1454. The first architect is said to have been Jacob
van Thienen (1405), and the next Jan van Ruysbroeck (1448), a
statue of whom adorns the first niche in the tower. The facade has
lately been restored. It is doubtful whether the niches on the facade