70 Route 12. BRUSSELS. Banque Nationale.
libert, Duke of Savoy, and Margaret of Austria. — Below is the monument
of Duke John II. of Brabant (d. 1312) and his duchess Margaret of York,
in black marble, with a recumbent lion in gilded copper, cast in 1610;
opposite to it, the monument, with recumbent figure, of Archduke Ernest
(d. 1595), brother of Emp. Rudolph II. and stadtholder of the Netherlands.
Both monuments were erected by Archduke Albert (brother of Ernest) in
1610. A white marble slab covers the entrance to the burial-vaults of
the princes of the House of Austria.
The Retro-Choir contains four stained-glass windows executed by Ca-
pronnier in 1879 from designs by Navez; the subjects are taken from the
history of the Patriarchs and the Children of Israel, from the life of Christ,
and from the history of the Christian church. — In the rococo chapel
behind the high-altar is an altar from the Abbaye de la Cambre^(p. 103).
The stained glass, bearing figures of saints and the arms of the Merode
family, is also by Capronnier (1843).
Transept. Stained glass: Charles V. and his queen, with their
patron-saints (N.); Louis III. of Hungary and his queen, by Bernard van
Orley, 1538 (S.). Opposite the N. chapel, winged picture representing
scenes from the life of St. Gudule, by Coxie (1592); opposite the S.
chape], Crucifixion, by the same artist.
The well-executed" and richly-coloured stained glass in the Nave is
all by Capronnier, having been presented by the king, the royal family,
and wealthy Belgian citizens, and put up in 1860-80; the subjects also
refer to the story of the stolen Hosts (see p. 75), beginning in the S.
aisle, by the transept. The window of the W. Portal, a Last Judgment
by F. Floris, remarkable for the crowd of figures it contains, dates from
1528, but has been frequently restored. Four of the massive statues of the
Twelve Apostles on the pillars of the nave (Paul, Bartholomew, Thomas,
Matthew) are by Jer. Duquesnoy; three others (John, Andrew, Thaddseus)
are by Faydlierbe (d. 1694). The "Pulpit, originally in the church of the
Jesuits at Louvain, was executed in 1699 by the celebrated Verbruggen.
It is a representation in carved wood of the Expulsion from Paradise.
Among the foliage are all kinds of animals, — a bear, dog, cat, fox,
eagle, vulture, peacock, owl, dove, squirrel, ape eating an apple, etc.
Above is the Virgin with the Child, who crushes the head of the serpent
with the cross. — In the aisles: confessionals by Van Delen (18th cent.); in
the S. aisle is the monument of Canon Triest (d. 1846), noted at Brussels
for his benevolence, by Eug. Simonis; a marble monument to Count Cornet
de Ways-Ruart, by Geefs, 1872 (Faith supporting old age and elevating
youth). The marble-reliefs of the stations on the way to Calvary are by
P. Puyenbroeck. The government and the city have for many years expend¬
ed considerable sums annually on the embellishment of the sacred edifice.
The Tower commands a beautiful view; ascent, 1 pers. 2 fr., 2 or
more pers. 3 fr.
The handsome new building opposite the cathedral, to the
N., is the *Banque Nationale (PL 4; E, 3), one of the best modern
buildings in Brussels, designed by H. Beyaert and Janssens, and
exhibiting a free treatment of the Louis Seize style. The allegori¬
cal figures of Industry and Commerce over the pediment are by
Wiener, the rest of the sculptural ornamentation by Houtstout. The
interior is also worth inspection (entrance in the Rue Berlaimont).
The Place Royale (PL E, 4), adjacent to the S.W. corner of
the Park, owes its present appearance to the architect Guimard,
1778 (comp. p. 72). On the left stands the church of St. Jacques
sur Caudenberg (Froidmont, 'cold mountain'; PL 16), a handsome
and chaste edifice with a portico of the Corinthian order, begun by
Guimard in 1776 on the site of an old Augustine abbey, and com-