74 Route 12. BRUSSELS. Cathedral.
was entirely destroyed by fire in 1883, and the sittings of the Cham¬
ber of Deputies take place at present in the hall of the Senate in the
The buildings adjoining the Palais de la Nation on the E. and
W. are occupied by government-offices. — Opposite, in the N.E.
angle of the park, stands the building known as Vauxhall (PL E,
3, 4; comp. p. 68), partly occupied by the Cercle Artistique et
Litte'raire; near it is the Theatre du Pare (PL 67).
At Rue Ducale No. 22, bis (PL F, 3), Th. Smaelen, the painter,
has erected a wooden house in the Flemish style of the 16th cent.,
chiefly with original materials. It is called T'Lucashuys. — Adja¬
cent, No. 22, is the Musee Scolaire de VEtat (open daily, except
Frid. and Sat., 10-4), containing an extensive collection of edu¬
In the Rue Royale (PL E, 4-1), midway between the Rue de la
Loi and the Boulevard Botanique, is situated the Place du Congres,
adorned with the Colonne du Congres (PL 10; E, 3), a monument
erected to commemorate the Congress of 4th June, 1831, by which
the present constitution of Belgium was established, and Prince Leo¬
pold of Saxe-Cobourg elected king. The column, of the Doric order,
147 ft. ifi height, is surmounted by a statue of the king in bronze,
by W. Geefs. The nine figures in relief below, representing the
different provinces of Belgium, are by Simonis. The female figures
in bronze at the four corners are emblematical of the Liberty of the
Press, the Liberty of Education, both by Jos. Geefs, the Liberty of
Associations, by Fraikin, and the Liberty of Public Worship, by
Simonis. The names of the members of the Congress and of the
provisional government of 1830 are recorded on marble tablets.
The summit, which is reached by a spiral staircase of 192 steps (tri¬
fling fee to the custodian), commands a magnificent panorama. The
two bronze lions at the door are by Simonis. The foundation-stone of
the column was laid by King Leopold I. in 1850, and the inaugura¬
tion took place in 1859. At the foot of the flight of steps which
descend to the lower part of the town are situated two Marches
The church of Ste. Marie de Schaerbeek is the most conspicuous
object at the N. end of the Rue Royale, beyond the Boulevard
(comp. p. 98).
The "Cathedral (Ste. Gudule et St. Michel; PL E, 3) in the
vicinity, situated on a somewhat abrupt slope overlooking the lower
part of the town, is an imposing Gothic church consisting of nave
and aisles, with a retro-choir, and deep hays resembling chapels.
The church was begun about the year 1220, on the site of an earlier
building, consecrated in 1047. A few traces of the transitional
style of this period are still observable in the retro-choir. The
rest of the choir, the transept, the arcades of the nave, and the S.
aisle are early-Gothic, and were completed in 1273. The N. aisle.