72 Route 12. BRUSSELS. Palais Royal.
the overwhelming number of houses in the so-called French Renaissance
style (from Louis XIII. to Louis XVI.) which have sprung up within the
last few years and completely altered the appearance of the old Brabant
capital. It must be mentioned on the other hand that the Flemish Re¬
naissance style of the 16th cent, has also become extremely popular, and
has been followed not only in private houses, in which the most striking
feature is the smalt proportion borne by the breadth to the height, but
also in various public edifices.
The *Park (PL E, 4), situated in the centre of the upper part
of the town, originally the garden of the Dukes of Brabant, and laid
out in its present form in 1774, is an attractive spot, although of
limited extent (500 yds. in length, 300 yds. in width). Among the
sculptures it contains are a Diana and Narcissus, at the fountain
opposite the Palais de la Nation, both by Grupello; a Magdalene
by Duquesnoy ; a bust of Peter the Great, presented to the city by
Prince Demidoff; two figures of Meleager by Lejeune; and a Venus
by Olivier. The groups at the entrance opposite the Palace, by
Poelaert "and Melot, represent Summer and Spring. The park is a
fashionable resort in summer on Sundays from 1 to 2.30 p.m., and
on week-days from 3 to 4.30 p.m., when a military band plays.
There is also music here on most summer-evenings at 8 o'clock (at
the Vauxhall, p. 68). The park is closed about an hour after dusk,
when a bell is rung to apprise visitors of the shutting of the gates.
During the eventful 23rd-26th of September, 1830, the park was one
of the chief scenes of the conflict. Prince Frederick of the Nether¬
lands entered Brussels with an army of 10,000 men on the 23rd,
and occupied the palace and park. He was, however, unable to
pass the barricades which guarded the streets, and evacuated the
park on the night of the 26th.
The streets surrounding the park, the Rue Royale, Rue Ducale,
Rue de la Loi, and Place des Palais, together with the adjoining
Place Royale, received their present architectural character at the
time of the formation of the park (last quarter of the 18th cent.),
having been mainly designed by the talented architect Guimard.
The Rue Royale, which bounds the park on the W., runs along
the margin of the eminence on which the upper town is situated.
As in other streets in this quarter, the traffic is comparatively in¬
significant, though several attractive shops have recently been
opened here. On the W. the row of houses is often broken by small
terraces, intended by Guimard to afford views of the lower town,
but many of them have unfortunately been built up. On the first of
these terraces rises the marble Statue of Count Belliard (PL 59;
E, 4), a French general (d. 1832), who was ambassador at the
newly-constituted court of Belgium in 1831-32, by G. Geefs.
The Palais Eoyal (PL E, 4), in the Place des Palais, origi¬
nally consisted of two buildings erected during last century, which
were connected by an intervening structure adorned with a Corin¬
thian colonnade in 1827. It is at present being entirely remodelled