//. Route. 63
Beyond Ath are several small stations at which the express does
not stop. From (44 M.) Bassilly a branch-line diverges to Lessines
(see above), Ellezelles (p. 30), and Renaix (p. 49).
50 M. Enghien, the next important place, a town with 3900 in¬
hab., many of whom are occupied in lace-making ('point de Paris'),
is the junction of the line from Ghent to Braine-le-Comte and
Charleroi (R. 20). The fine *Park of the Due d'Arenberg formerly
contained the ancestral chateau of the Dues d'Enghien, which was
destroyed during the French Revolution. The old chapel, with its
carved oaken door, still remains. Adjacent is a Capuchin Convent,
the church of which contains the beautiful alabaster *Tomb of
Guillaume de Croye, Archbishop of Toledo (d. 1521), richly adorned
with figures and ornaments in the style of the early Italian Re¬
The train now quits the province of Hainault, and enters that
of Brabant. 53 M. Bierghes; 55 M. Saintes; 56 M. Brages-
59M. Hal (Cygne; Trois Fontaines; Vnivers), a town situated
on the Senne and the canal of Charleroi, with 9000 inhab., is cel¬
ebrated throughout Belgium as a resort of pilgrims, on account of
the miracle-working image of the Virgin in the church of Notre
Dame, an edifice in the purest Gothic style, begun in 1341, and
consecrated in 1409. The church possesses numerous costly trea¬
sures presented by Emp. Maximilian I., Charles V., Pope Julius II.,
Henry VIII. of England, the Burgundian Dukes, and the Spanish
governors. The *High-altar is a fine Renaissance work in alabaster,
executed by Jan Mone in 1533, with reliefs representing the seven
Sacraments, statuettes of the four Evangelists and the four great
Fathers of the Church, and a figure of St. Martin sharing his cloak
with a beggar. The font, in bronze, was cast in 1446. A monument
in black marble, with the figure of a sleeping child, is dedicated to
the son of Louis XL, who died in 1460. Another chapel contains
33 cannon-balls, caught and rendered harmless by the robes of the
wonder-working image during a siege of the town. — The Hotel de
Ville, built in 1616 and distinguished by its lofty roof, was suc¬
cessfully restored a short time ago.
From Hal to Braine-le-Comte and Mons (Brussels and Paris railway),
see R. 19.
6OY2M. Buysingen; 62 M. Loth. The country traversed is hilly.
The line runs for some distance parallel with the canal of Charleroi.
64 M. Ruysbroeck was the birthplace in the 14th cent, of the mystic
of that name. Near (66 M.) Forest the train crosses the winding
Senne, which waters a rich pastoral district. The train crosses the
Boulevards of Brussels, commanding a view of the Porte de Hal
(p. 100) to the right, and soon stops at the Station du Midi.
68 M. Brussels, see below.