62 Route 11.
situated the village of Bouvines, where Emp. OtholV. was defeated
by Philip Augustus of France in 1214. 5'/2 M. Baisieux is the
last French, and (11 M.) Blandain the first Belgian station, at
each of which there is a custom-house. 14 M. Froyenne.
16 M. Tournai, see p. 51. Thence to Courtrai (3/4 hr.), see R. 8.
From Tournai to Mons , via Blaton, 30 M., railway in ly^l'/* hr.
(fares 3 fr. 75, 2 fr. 80, lfr. 90 c). Route via Leuze, (29 M.), see p. 49.
— Stations: Vaulx, Antoing, Maubray, Callenelle, Piruwelz (branch to Va¬
lenciennes), Blaton (where the line from Leuze to Mons is rejoined),
narchies, Pommeroeul, La Hamaide, Boussu-Haine, St. Ghislain (p. 49),
Quaregnon-Wasmuel, Jemappes; Mons, see p. 162.
Beyond Tournai the undulating and well-cultivated province of
Hainault is traversed. Mont St. Aubert (p. 55) long remains con¬
spicuous to the left. 20J/2 M. Havinnes; 24i/2 M. Bary-Maulde.
28 M. Leuze, a small town on the Dendre, the junction of the Ghent-
Oudenarde-Leuze-Blaton line (p. 49). 30 M. Chapelle-d- Wattines ;
32 M. Ligne, which gives a title to the princely family of that name.
35 M. Ath (Cygne; Paond'Or; Holel deBruxelles, near the
station; Hotel de I' Univers, opposite the station), on the Dendre,
formerly a fortress, with 9000 inhab., contains nothing to detain
the traveller. The Hotel de Ville was erected in 1600. The church
of St. Julian, founded in 1393, was re-erected in 1817 after a fire.
The Tour de Burbant, the most ancient structure in the town, dates
from 1150. A monument to Eugene Defacqz, a native of Ath who
played a prominent part in the events of 1830, was erected in 1880.
Numerous lime-kilns in the environs.
Ath is the junction for the line from Denderleeuw (Alost) to Gram¬
mont, Ath, and Jurbise, 35 M., railway in 2 hrs. (fares 4 fr. 55, 3 fr. 30,
2 fr. 30 c). — Denderleeuw, see p. 10. The train ascends the left bank
of the Dender or Dendre. 2'/2 M. Okegem. Then (5 M.) Ninove, an old
town with 6400 inhab., the seat, as early as the middle of the 12th cent.,
of a Premonstratensian abbey, of which no trace remains; the parish-
church contains two paintings by De Crayer. — The next stations are
Santbergen, Idegem, and Schendelbeke. 14 M. Grammont, see p. 164. —
17 M. Acren, the first place in Hainault; 18 M. Lessines, with porphyry
quarries, is the junction of the Bassilly-Renaix line (see below); Papignies;
Rebaix. — 25 M. Ath, see above. — Then by Muffles, Mevergnies-Attres,
Brugelette (with a large orphan-asylum conducted by nuns), and Lens to
(35 M.) Jurbise, where the Brussels and Paris line is reached (see p. 162).
From Ath to Blaton, 12 M., railway in 40 min. (fares 1 fr. 45, 1 fr. 10,
70 c). — The stations are small and uninteresting, with the exception of
(7 M.) Beloeil, a village with the celebrated chateau and estate of the Prince
de Ligne, which has been in possession of the family upwards of 500 years.
Prince Charles Joseph of Ligne (1735-1814), the eminent general and states¬
man , gives a long account in his letters of this estate with its park and
gardens. Delille, in his poem 'Les Jardins,' describes Beloeil as ' tout &
la fois magnifique et champetre.'' The chateau contains numerous curiosities
of artistic as well as historic interest; a considerable library, with many
rare MSS.; admirable pictures, including works attributed to Diirer, Hol¬
bein, Van Dyck, Velazquez, Leonardo da Vinci, Michael Angelo, and Salva-
tor Rosa, and also specimens of many modern artists; relics (fragments
of the 'True Cross' and the 'Crown of Thorns'), and numerous gifts pre¬
sented to the family by emperors and kings, from Charles V. to Napoleon I.
Admission to the chateau is rarely denied by the proprietor.
Blaton is the junction for the lines to Leuze and Tournai (see above),
Peruwelr-Toiiriiai (see above), and St. Ghislain-Mons (p. 49).