DENDERMONDE. 10. Route. 55
Tournai. The latter are generally known as Brussels carpets. The art
of weaving carpets is said to have been brought to Europe by Flem¬
ings, who learned it from the Saracens at the time of the Crusades.
Most of the carpets are made by the work-people in their own dwell¬
ings, and as there are few large factories in the town, it presents a
much cleaner and pleasanter appearance than the other large in¬
dustrial towns of Belgium. The largest manufactory is the Manu¬
Mont St. Auhert (p. 51), sometimes called Ste. Trinite from the small
church of that name on the top, commands a very extensive panorama,
although only 325 ft. in height, being the only eminence in the district,
and is well worthy of a visit. The summit is about 4 M. distant, Car¬
riage in 3|4 hr. (3-4 fr.).
10. From Ghent to Antwerp.
a. State Railway via Dendermonde and Fuers.
42 M. Railway in IV2-2V4 hrs. (fares 5fr. 15, 3 fr. 90, 2 fr. 60c.|.
Ghent, see p. 32. — The line crosses the Schelde. 2'fe M.
Meirelbeke. 4 M. Melle, the junction of the line to Charleroi and
Braine-le-Comte (R. 20). 6 M. Quatrecht. The train follows the
winding course of the Schelde. 8 M. Wetteren. At (10 M.) Schelle-
belle our line diverges from that to Brussels via Alost (R. 3). 12(/2 M.
Wichelen; 14 M. Schoonaerde; 16 M. Audeghem, beyond which the
train crosses the Dendre.
18 M. Dendermonde, Fr. Termonde (Plat d'Etain; Aigle;
Demi-Lune), a small fortified town (8300 inhab.) at the confluence
of the Dendre and Schelde. Louis XIV. besieged this place in 1667,
but was compelled to retreat, as the besieged, by opening certain
sluices, laid the whole district under water. The Emp. Joseph II.
caused the fortifications to be dismantled in 1784, but they were
reconstructed in 1822. The old church of Notre Dame possesses
two good pictures by Van Dyck, a Crucifixion, and Adoration of
the Shepherds ; also a work by De Crayer, and a Romanesque font
of the 12th century. The Hotel de Ville, which was originally the
cloth-hall, dates, with its belfry, from the 14th century. Adjacent
is the Grande Garde, or guard-house, with an octagonal tower and
a rococo portico of the 18th century.
From Dendermonde to St. Nicolas, via Hamme, 121/2 M., by railway
in 38-45 min. (see p. 56); to Lokeren, 83/4 M., in V2 hr. (see p. 56); to
Alost, 7V2 M., in 22 min. (p. 10); and to Brussels, 20 M., via Opioyck
(p. 10) and Jette (p. 10), in 3/4-1 hr.
At (21 M.) Baesrode the line to Malines diverges (see p. 122).
24 M. St. Amans-lez-Puers; 27 M. Puers, where our line crosses
that from Terneuzen to Malines (p. 122). The train now traverses
a marshy district and crosses the Rupel, which is formed about
2</2 M. to the E. by the union of the Dyle and the Nethe.
31 M. Boom, a town with 14,000 inhab., where our line crosses
the line from Alost to Antwerp (see p. 10). 33i/2 M. Reetz. 36 M.
Contich, and thence to Antwerp, see p. 123.