54 Route 9. TOURNAI. Hotel de Ville.
(PL 12), sometimes called 'La Petite Cathedrale, a remarkably ele¬
gant structure, erected about the same period as the cathedral. The
facade and interior form an excellent example of the transitional
style. The large paintings in the nave represent the Foundation
of the Order of the Trinitarians for the purpose of ransoming
Christian captives (1198), and the Battle of Lepanto (1571). The
stained glass is by Bethune (1858).
The priory-buildings of the suppressed Monastery of St. Martin,
situated in a garden on the S.W. side of the town, now serve as
an Hotel de Ville (PL 15; A, 3, 4), the tympanum of which con¬
tains the arms of the town, a tower with three lilies. The small pic¬
ture-gallery (fee 72-l fr.) contains a Virgin and a Descent from the
Cross, wrongly ascribed to Jan van Eyck; portraits attributed to
Rembrandt, Rubens, and Van Dyck; and an equestrian portrait of
Louis XIV. by Lebrun. Among the modern works are : Gallait (b.
1810, at Tournai), Dead bodies of Counts Egmont and Hoorne; Van
Severdonck, Defence of Tournai by the Princess d'Epinoy. Other
rooms contain a cabinet of antiquities, works in metal, fayence,
and coins. Some of the ivory carvings are very fine, such as Nos.
175 and 170, dating respectively from the 11th and the 14th cent¬
ury. — In a building at the side (PL 15) is a museum of natural
The church of St. Jacques (PL 6; B, 2), dating from the 13th
and 14th cent, and recently restored by Bryenne, somewhat resem¬
bles that of St. Quentin. The pulpit is in the form of a huge trunk
of oak, wreathed with vines , and adjoined by a grotto, all carved
in wood. The side altarpiece to the left is a copy of Rubens' Pur¬
gatory in the Cathedral (p. 53).
St. Briee (PL 5; C, 3, 4), a church of the 12th cent., on the
right bank of the Schelde, once contained the tomb of Childeric
(d. 480; father of Clovis), King of the Franks.
A number of interesting curiosities, most of which are now preserved
in the National Library at Paris, were found in a coffin here in 1655;
among them were upwards of 300 small figures in gold, resembling bees,
with which the royal robes are said to have been decorated. Napoleon,
on the occasion of his coronation, preferred them to the fleurs-de-lys as
insignia of the imperial dignity. A clasp for fastening a cloak is still in
the possession of the church and is exhibited in the sacristy, along with
two silver cups and two refiquaries of the 14th century.
Near the church of St. Brice are a few mediaeval houses. —
The new Palais de Justice and the Theatre also deserve mention.
The old bridge called Pont des Trous (PL C, 1), which crosses
the Schelde at the lower end of the town in three pointed arches,
was built in 1290. Both ends are defended by strong towers. Near
the bridge is the Square Du Mortier, which is embellished with a
marble statue of B. Du Mortier (b. at Tournai in 1797; d. 1878),
the Belgian statesman and naturalist, executed by Fraikin and
erected in 1883.
Stockings, fayence, and carpets are the staple manufactures of